News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2016

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Thu, 25 Feb 2016 09:16

Hardy Heinlin

Note: This is an outdated thread; here is the 2019 thread:
http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=5157.0

Good morning all,

it's time again to announce the next Nav Database Update, now for the year 2016 (using AIRAC cycle 1603).

There are some good news, and "less good" news, but the latter will be turned into good news as well, I hope:

Unfortunately, last year's database download sales were too low to cover the costs I had to pay to my data supplier. And now my supplier has increased the costs even more -- massively. This means I can no longer keep the price as low as last year. I'm sorry! It's now 28.00 Euro -- about 8 Euros more. However, here's the bonus that hopefully compensates it:

I'm working on a major update of the weather radar graphics. It will be included in PSX 10.0.8 and will be ready for beta testing in March 2016. These improved weather radar graphics will be activated in PSX only if AIRAC cycle 1603 or newer is installed. This is supposed to be a bonus for users who bought cycle 1603 (or higher). I think this is a fair deal? It's the first time after a long series of PSX updates that a new feature is not free. Of course, PSX 10.0.8 will also include many other modifications that will be absolutely free as usual.

If you have questions regarding the weather radar, please post them in this thread. Thank you!

General info:
PSX's data supplier is Navtech, Inc. -- Precision Simulator has been, and will be, used by professional customers like universities, schools, airlines etc. For this reason, Navigraph and Aerosoft cannot provide data to PSX as they are not authorized by their suppliers to sell data to professional customers, especially not at entertainment mass market prices. Therefore this service here is independent of the others, and the plan is to provide a database update to PSX users once per year (using the March cycle) to keep the costs as low as possible.

Here's the latest update. It can be downloaded only, and is available at these international retailers:

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018 at Hyway Australia

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018 at Aviation Megastore

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018 at Aerosoft USA

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018 at Aerosoft Germany

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2018 at Simware Belgium

The database is used by the following components in Precision Simulator:
- Flight Management System
- EGPWS landing-short-of-runway alert (TCF)
- Navaid stations and receivers
- Airport communication radios and receivers
- Voice-ATC and CPDLC simulation
- Voice-ATIS and D-ATIS
- METAR management
- Instructor maps
- Instructor Analysis pages
- Instructor aircraft repositioning tools
- Scenery generator (runways, gates, airport beacons)

System requirement:
Precision Simulator update 10.0.2 or higher: the latest update can be downloaded free of charge.

Database installation:
Don't unzip the downloaded file. Just copy the zip file to the (empty) subfolder Aerowinx/Navigation/-New and restart Precision Simulator. That's all. If you use multiple computers in a local Precision Simulator network, install the file in the same way also on those computers. With one purchased download you are allowed to use up to four database copies within your local network.

Check your new AIRAC cycle number in Precision Simulator:
When the new database is installed, the cycle number "1603" is displayed on the Instructor screen under About/Quit (refer to page 93 of the manual). Ignore the cycle dates on the FMC IDENT page! Those are simulated cycle dates and vary with the simulated time of the year (refer to page 346); they are intended for FMS training only, and don't refer to the physically installed cycle.

Thank you for your interest!

Regards,

|-|ardy

Britjet

Hi Hardy,

It sounds a very good deal to me. Many thanks..
Peter

cavaricooper

Hardy-

While 2016 Navdata is a great deal at 28 Euros, PSX is priceless.  Don't give it another thought, we are eternally grateful.

I will post here as soon as I get confirmation on US release from Wolfgang.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Markus Vitzethum

Hi Hardy,

good news - thanks a lot for your efforts. And I don't mind the increase in price...

Markus

Michael Benson

I think that is more than a fair compromise - thank you!

Robert Staudinger

Hi Hardy!

Got it already from Aviation Megastore.

Thank you very much, Robert.

torrence

Very reasonable, Hardy

Great value, as always.

Looking forward to radar mods. 

A positive comment on the yearly update:  I've had essentially no problems at all with rare out of date waypoints or airport info.  The only ones I had to work with at all were for some flights on the PHNL to PGUM 'island hopper' route (UA154), into tiny, short runways on coral reefs.  The 1503 cycle had the runways, but only basic visual runway and extension approaches in the FMC.  The latest charts show these now have RNAV (GPS) approaches added (no ILS capabilities) which aren't in 1503.  But thanks to Britjet's tutorials on NINDA approaches I was able to construct quick and dirty visual approaches with no problems.  Of course my friends who used to travel this route for business when they were at the U of Hawaii told me "You can't fly a 747 into those places, that's crazy!"...  I told them, "Yeah, it may be crazy, but PSX proves you can do it, even if you end up and at the far end of a 5000ft runway with smoking brakes and have to maneuver very carefully to do a 180 and taxi back down the runway to the terminal (shack) without getting wet."  :)

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Phil Bunch

Is there any reason I should *not* order the update from http://www.aviationmegastore.com/, the European store?
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Hessel Oosten

No Phil,

Within 2 seconds after payment, you have mail with the download link.

Hessel

cavaricooper

Phil-

I just did..... Spoke to Wolfgang at Aerosoft USA this morning. He told me that they do not sell any DL products, so there isn't any point in waiting....the process took 2 min and I had a DL link in my inbox.

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

tango4

Just ordered on Aviation Megastore, download link received within one minute.
And Hardy, thanks for all your explanations and clarifications. No problem here, I too think this is a really fair deal, especially given your commitment and hard work put into this unique simulator.

All the best.

Charles

Phil Bunch

Quote from: Hessel Oosten on Thu, 25 Feb 2016 20:29
No Phil,

Within 2 seconds after payment, you have mail with the download link.

Hessel

Thanks - it worked fine.

I think the USA site is now taking orders - it is showing as available for purchase.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Britjet

torrence

Thanks for the link, Peter

My friends will also love it - they were flying this route in the 70's and 80's I think and the runways were even more primitive then.  In addition to their academic pursuits, Tom and Carol ran a company which among other things involved them being the US reps for selling Israeli solar desalinization systems in the islands, and a small import trade in Pohnpei pepper (great stuff). 

An extensive description of a recent flight on UA154 forms the backbone of the prologue to Simon Winchester's recent excellent book "Pacific", with historical, cultural and military commentary about the islands and their current role in the world - the president of the Marshall  Islands was a major player in the recent climate change negotiations - since a lot of his country is due to disappear under the waves with alarming speed.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Phil Bunch on Thu, 25 Feb 2016 21:20
I think the USA site is now taking orders - it is showing as available for purchase.

Not yet!

Please check that the product description contains "for the year 2016" and "AIRAC cycle 1603".

Otherwise you're reading the old page.

Thanks!

|-|ardy

jtsjc1

Thank you Hardy no problem its a small price to pay for the nav database accuracy. It increases the enjoyment of PSX even more. Looking forward to your update.
Joe

Chris Kilroy

744kid

More than happy here. I'll download tonight. As I purchased the last Nav update at Aviation Megastore, they alerted me to the latest update via email.

Looking forward to 10.0.8!

Many thanks, Hardy.

744kid

G-CIVA

What everybody else has said ... seems incredibly fair to me!

As ever thanks Hardy!

Steve
Steve Bell
aka The CC

744kid

Thanks, Hardy, for making the installation process so simple. Unlike last year's update, I had not set my Macbook to automatically open zip files and thus frustrate the installation process!

Cheers,

744kid