News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

3D printed jet engine with reverse thrusters

Started by Ivo de Colfmaker, Sat, 13 Feb 2016 14:46

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi,
Amazing what can be printed on a 3D printer, this is a real beauty.
It also gave me better understanding how these reversers work.
Hope you like it!
Ivo

http://youtu.be/9LkgHB5bgmc

And for those who like to see the parts that are printed and the thread of making it

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2390401
A day at this forum is a day learned!

Will

Watching it propel itself back and forth across the floor was wonderful.
Will /Chicago /USA

Phil Bunch

Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Hessel Oosten

Rather dangerous Phil, such strong a-symmetric thrust .... ;).

So take two !

Hessel

Hardy Heinlin

Can a 3D printer print a point at a location where nothing has been printed before and that is not placed on the printer platform itself?

For example, take a standing "T" and print it vertically layer by layer. First it will build an "I". When the top of the "I" is reached, the T-roof must be created on top the "I". The printer can place a point on the tip of the "I", but for the rest of the T-roof there is no fundament.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi Hardy,
Maybe not the best youtube clip about the subject, but it gives an idea
Overhangs are printed with suport material, this can be the same material,  PLA ,  ABS , PETS , the most common, or if you have a dual extruder printer water soluble  material , I have no 3D printer, but looking for some!
Ivo
https://youtu.be/QZ1BJxGGQ4E

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Ivo,

perfect answer! Thanks :-)

|-|ardy

Mark

Ivo described how you would do it on a home printer.
On professional SLS 3d printers, they spread down layers of nylon powder, use a laser to fuse together the powder where you want a solid object, leaving the rest of the powder around it.
That means this unfused powder acts as support for higher layers.
When the print is finished, you simply use an air duster to blow away all the unfused powder, leaving the solid object in the middle.

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi Mark,
SLS printers are  a bit more expensive  then the home  versions, so not in my league.
Some home printers can print Nylon and PETS , this is as far as I know much stronger and suitable for construction parts, and there are products on the market these days that can give a smooth finnish to your prints!
ABS can be smoothed with aceton, but not a healthy procedure, printing ABS for that matter is also not al that good for your health and smelly.

For hobby cockpit building  this 3D printing can be a big help, but it is a steap learning curve, there is also the desingning  part, drawing in 3D, but that is part of the charm no?
Ivo

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Mark on Fri, 18 Nov 2016 10:44
... use a laser to fuse together the powder where you want a solid object ...

Thanks, Mark. I saw this method on a TV docu the other day, but it didn't explain the purpose. Now I understand :-) Very clever trick.

|-ardy