News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Configure 2 displays - need help

Started by Garfield30, Fri, 4 Dec 2015 13:28

Garfield30

Hello together,

i´m very frustrated because it´s impossible to get 2 screens work together :-(
I´ve tryed the tutorial from Hardy - but i cant use it in my case, because i´m get a black screen when i try to move the frames onto the second monitor.

The second tutorial from joergalv i´ve tested also, but also without any succsess :-(

So please can anypne help me to configure my to screens to work ?

My Javaversion is 8 up65 also tested with up66
Card is a 480 GTX Nvidia

Thank you all
Alex

frumpy

(...edited, my fingers were quicker than my brain)

Hardy Heinlin

Hello Alex,

have you tried this test?

1. Quit all PSX instances

2. Start just one PSX instance with AerowinxStart.jar

3. Move the flight deck frame to the second monitor and keep the Instructor frame on the main monitor

-- Is the flight deck frame black? --

Whether black or not, please try this:

4. Keep the flight deck frame on the second monitor

5. Check what layout is used under "Simulator start" on Instructor > Preferences > Basics
(is it "-End of last session.9pack"?)

6. Select "Allow window stretching across multiple monitors" on Instructor > Preferences > Basics
(lower right corner)

7. Quit this PSX

8. Start just one PSX instance with AerowinxStart.jar

-- Does the flight deck frame automatically appear on the second monitor, and is it black? --

For your information, "-End of last session.9pack" stores the last used layout settings when quitting PSX. When restarting PSX with "-End of last session.9pack" in the preferences, this PSX will start with the last used layout settings. Layout settings include, among other things, the frame position coordinates on the monitors.

This is just a test using"-End of last session.9pack". You can define fixed settings using other file names that won't be overwritten when quitting PSX. But that will be another story. This test here is just about getting rid of the black screen.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Garfield30

Hello Hardy ,

i´ll test it today and will give you an information later.

Alex

Garfield30

Quote from: Garfield30 on Sat,  5 Dec 2015 14:06
Hello Hardy ,

i´ll test it today and will give you an information later.

Alex

Hello Hardy,

my results are :

3. Move the flight deck frame to the second monitor and keep the Instructor frame on the main monitor

-- Is the flight deck frame black?

"Yes the screen is black"

5. Check what layout is used under "Simulator start" on Instructor > Preferences > Basics
(is it "-End of last session.9pack"?) 

"Yes this pack was used by default"

8. Start just one PSX instance with AerowinxStart.jar

-- Does the flight deck frame automatically appear on the second monitor, and is it black? --

"Yes the frame appear on the second monitor and its not black" only works when - "-End of last session.9pack" is loading by default.

Regards
Alex

Hardy Heinlin

Hello Alex,

great. So it works.

The next step is this:

You need to know: Whenever PSX starts with the preferred layout 9-pack, it starts with layout number 1 of 9. You can select any of the 9 layouts by keyboard, mouse, or USB buttons as described in the manual on page 68.

Now, for the configuration, when PSX is started, don't select another layout; keep layout number 1 which is on the second monitor (as you reported above). Be sure the flight deck frame is perfectly positioned and resized to fill the second monitor (if you wish so).

The other 8 layouts of this 9-pack should be moved to the second monitor as well. This can be achieved by a simple mouse click:

Go to Layout > Setting and look at the combo box (lower right) which currently reads "all properties".
Select "only frame size" and click on "Copy now".
Select "only frame position" and click on "Copy now".
All 9 layouts now have the same size and position with reference to your dual monitor system.

Now zoom and pan the panels in layout number 1 as desired. If you use the other 8 layouts as well, to show other sections of the flight deck, then zoom and pan those as well until you're happy.

Then save this 9-pack on Layout > Save under the file name "a2.9pack".

Now make a layout for the first monitor. Can you move the flight deck frame from the second monitor to the first one? Will it turn black? In any case, go to Layout > Load, and reload "-End of last session.9pack".

Select layout number 1 which is on the second monitor. Adjust the flight deck frame with the mouse so that it is prefectly positioned and resized to fill the first monitor (if you wish so).

The other 8 layouts of this 9-pack are probably on the first monitor (as reloaded from "-End of last session.9pack"). To be sure that they are all on the first monitor, do this:

Go to Layout > Setting and look at the combo box.
All 9 layouts now have the same size and position with reference to your dual monitor system.

Now zoom and pan the panels in layout number 1 as desired. If you use the other 8 layouts as well, to show other sections of the flight deck, then zoom and pan those as well until you're happy.

Then save this 9-pack on Layout > Save under the file name "a1.9pack".

Now you have two layout 9-pack files that can be used when a certain PSX instance starts. "a2.9pack" is designed for your second monitor, "a1.9pack" for your first monitor.

Can you follow so far? The next step is to make two pref files, one pref file starting with "a2.9pack", and another one starting with "a1.9pack". These two pref files can then be automatically loaded using AerowinxNetStart.ini and AerowinxNetStart.jar. The sequence should be such that "a2.9pack" is loaded first (to avoid the black screen effect).

Regards,

|-|ardy

Garfield30

Hello Hardy,

thank you for this great tutorial. Now i was able to get the two screens work.
But they don´t communicate together ?

(Left screen (a2) has the command - overhead , throttle, CDU
(right screen (a1) is the glareshield view ND, PFD, Upper EICAS, MCP

I think something wrong with the pref files ?

Regards and many thanks
Alex

EDIT : the network configuration was false - now it works :-)
So happy - thank you Hardy

Regards
Alex

dvflight1974

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Sat,  5 Dec 2015 21:00
Hello Alex,

great. So it works.

The next step is this:

You need to know: Whenever PSX starts with the preferred layout 9-pack, it starts with layout number 1 of 9. You can select any of the 9 layouts by keyboard, mouse, or USB buttons as described in the manual on page 68.

Now, for the configuration, when PSX is started, don't select another layout; keep layout number 1 which is on the second monitor (as you reported above). Be sure the flight deck frame is perfectly positioned and resized to fill the second monitor (if you wish so).

The other 8 layouts of this 9-pack should be moved to the second monitor as well. This can be achieved by a simple mouse click:

Go to Layout > Setting and look at the combo box (lower right) which currently reads "all properties".

Then save this 9-pack on Layout > Save under the file name "a2.9pack".

Now make a layout for the first monitor. Can you move the flight deck frame from the second monitor to the first one? Will it turn black? In any case, go to Layout > Load, and reload "-End of last session.9pack".

Select layout number 1 which is on the second monitor. Adjust the flight deck frame with the mouse so that it is prefectly positioned and resized to fill the first monitor (if you wish so).

The other 8 layouts of this 9-pack are probably on the first monitor (as reloaded from "-End of last session.9pack"). To be sure that they are all on the first monitor, do this:

Go to Layout > Setting and look at the combo box.

Then save this 9-pack on Layout > Save under the file name "a1.9pack".

Now you have two layout 9-pack files that can be used when a certain PSX instance starts. "a2.9pack" is designed for your second monitor, "a1.9pack" for your first monitor.

Can you follow so far? The next step is to make two pref files, one pref file starting with "a2.9pack", and another one starting with "a1.9pack". These two pref files can then be automatically loaded using AerowinxNetStart.ini and AerowinxNetStart.jar. The sequence should be such that "a2.9pack" is loaded first (to avoid the black screen effect).

Regards,

|-|ardy

Hello Hardy! I'm new to the 747 and also want to lay out things across two monitors but cant find anything clear cut - Can you make a video tutorial please?

Hardy Heinlin

Hello dvflight1974,

your comment includes a very long quote. Do you want me to read that entire quote and then put the quoted information into a video tutorial, so that people need not read that quote but just watch a video that shows what this quote is about?

Regards,

|-|ardy

beat578

dvflight1974: One of the easiest (and best) things to configure your displays ist this tutorial over here:
http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=1999.0
It explains everything you need to know, when i got a 2nd monitor it helped me a lot to understand how the views work and how to set them up for your needs.

dvflight1974

If one can make a youtube tutorial that would be excellent. I take things in visually with video content a lot quicker

Hardy Heinlin

Tutorial about what exactly?

Do you want to watch a 5-hour video about everything -- or a 1-minute video about something special?

QuoteI take things in visually with video content a lot quicker

Screenshots are visual too.

PSX layouts don't move. Why should a video showing some screenshots be essentially better than a series of screenshots on a web page?