News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX going black when moved to another screen

Started by Zangdaarr, Sat, 28 Nov 2015 16:22

beat578

Quote from: petdocvmd on Mon, 13 Jan 2020 22:57
So things have gotten a bit weirder.  What seems to be happening is that executing the net start app is causing two identical instances of PSX to start, despite my listing two different .pref files in netstart.ini. 

Hi Scott
That happened to me yesterday until I found out, that i accidently had the same .9pack file in both presets, so I thought it was identical. If you do that the first time, it's quite hard not to mix things up. Could it be something as easy as that?

If you allow me to hijack the threat for a second:
I have another problem beside the "black screen when moving over", that i also have. I did a "rightScreen.9pack" and saved that. when i reopen that pack, all screens are shifted halfway to the right, showing only half of what I wanted to see. I redid all views, saved them again and when i open the 9pack in Elvis to check, i see them halfway off again, even if i see them correct on my screen until i close the sim. very weird. I will try to redo my whole setup completely from scratch following hardys tutorial tonight, hoping the views will stay in place this time.

Kind Regards
Beat

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: beat578 on Tue, 14 Jan 2020 07:47
... I found out, that i accidently had the same .9pack file in both presets, so I thought it was identical.

Yes, it's important to remember that each desired layout pack must be assigned to the related preferences (by entering the layout pack file name in the preferences). The content of the preferences determines what features PSX will load during program start. All initial commands are in the preferences. Nowhere else.

Having a layout file name similar to the preferences file name -- e.g. "MyLeft.9pack" and "MyLeft.pref" -- is not an assignment. You can set any name you like; they need not be equal. The only thing that counts is the file name entered under "Start with layout:" on Preferences > Basics.

Quote from: beat578 on Tue, 14 Jan 2020 07:47
when i reopen that pack, all screens are shifted halfway to the right, showing only half of what I wanted to see.

I guess you designed your layouts while your screen was in maximized mode. This is a forced maximization that can be turned off and on by clicking the respective button on the window frame. This feature is provided by your operating system, not by PSX, and does not change the data in the PSX layout file. A small PSX window in the center will -- internally -- remain small and centered when you play with the maximization button. When it's maximized you may think the PSX window is now big and and its upper left corner is now exactly at top left. But internally it's not. The layout file still contains the command data for setting a small centered window. This is normal because the maximized mode can be turned off and it needs to know the original non-maximized data.

In short words:

• Always design your layouts when your screen is not maximized. So you see what you will get.
• To start PSX in non-maximized mode, go to Instructor > Preferences > Basics
and deactivate "Start with maximized window ..."

Regards,

|-|ardy

beat578

You never learn out with PSX, even when it comes to layout design :) I was indeed in maximized mode. Thank's for the help and thank's for the new release.

petdocvmd

Oddly enough, what solved the problem for me was turning off my THIRD monitor (the one where the splash screen would appear).  Once I did that, each instance of PSX opened perfectly on it's assigned monitor with the proper layout file loaded for each.  I've no idea why this works, but I can live with the workaround of starting up with that monitor off, then turning it on and starting my scenery driver.

Scott
Scott L. Fausel, VMD

Hardy Heinlin

Was your third monitor connected while you started PSX (with "Allow frame stretching" on) and while you were designing your layouts in that same sim session?

If "Allow frame stretching" is on during PSX start, PSX will measure the total size of all three monitors side by side. This single summarized frame will be the reference for the pixel coordinates in the PSX layout system. If you use two monitors while designing your layouts and three monitors later when using that same layouts, you will get different positioning effects because the coordination reference is different.

|-|ardy

petdocvmd

The third monitor was indeed connected and on during the original sizing and such. Not sure if it matters, but it is also designated as the "Main Monitor" in Win 10 display settings.  Also, I have NVIDIA surround *OFF*.

I'm afraid to mess with it any more, since it runs perfectly as long as I start with the TV off ;-)

Approaching EGLL at Sunset- with gear still up, so I got some go-around practice after a config warning with flaps 25 and a quick reconfiguration seemed to confuse George and we were not stabilized at 1000'  ::). Not in sight are 2 iPads connected as CDU-L and C.

Scott
Scott L. Fausel, VMD

Zangdaarr

Hi Everyone,

I am bumping this thread because I am experiencing the same issue.

What I noticed is that toggling the "ALlow Frame Stretching Across Multiple Monitor" will restore the screen correct state. The actual state of the checkbox is not relevant, so it rather seems an issue of update rather of state.

I have updated to version 10.141, also running on windows 10 on a 3070RTX all drivers updated, java 1.8.0.271

I read the workaround offered here (having multiple instances of PSX), but I would like to avoid it if possible, so I was wondering if a robust solution was found since ?

edit: Just realized I am the one who opened the thread  ::) Yes, I did not really use PSX all those years, but now with MSFS and WidePSX, it's the occasion to have a great sim.

Hardy Heinlin

Zangdaarr

Black screen when moving windows on another monitor :)

Hardy Heinlin

1. Select "Allow frame stretching ..." on Instructor > Preferences > Basics (on all PSX instances)
2. Save the current preferences on each PSX instance
3. Restart all PSX instances

Zangdaarr

So from what I understand, I will not have any other solution than run two psx instances locally, one as a main server, one as a client ?

Hardy Heinlin

That's another option. It's the better option anyway, better than stretching. You'll get 8 subframes on two main frames rather than 4 subframes on a single stretched main frame. And the performance may be better as well.

Zangdaarr

That will be what I have to do then, because I do not want to strech frames over monitors.

I thought it was possible to "pop up" windows and place them over my monitors, then save a single layout, but from what I understand, each instance of PSX will provide me with a single windows, that I can divide up to 4 subframes, so (for what I want to do), I will need 3 instances of PSX.

However, from what I tried (saving 3 different layouts and assigning each of them a pref file), the differents layouts did not start at the correct location when I ran AerowinxNetStart, they all stacked up at the middle of my right screen, one should be at the bottom of my left screen, one at the bottom left of my right screen, and the last one at the top left of my right screen

I will be able to look at it more in details later tonight

Hardy Heinlin

Be sure that your frames are not maximized by the Windows Maximize buttons. They should NOT be maximized when you design your layouts and when you reload your layouts. See my post above on page 2 of this thread.

Zangdaarr

Thanks for the info, the thing is that I use a screen splitter (display fusion) to define my layouts, and actually I am maximizing my windows inside the screen division.

This being known, how would you advise me to proceed ?
I was also wondering if there's a way to remove the windows borders.

Hardy Heinlin

Set your frame sizes with the mouse while the frame borders are shown. Then save the layouts.

Then remove the frame borders. There's a checkbox for this on Preferences > Screen. Then save the pref file.

asboyd

I have made my pref file and layout files on my client machines read-only. As I get the flight info from my main PSX server the layouts files are all I need for my windows 10 PC's running the instrumentation displays.

I have one PC with a dual head 2 go running the MIP Capt/FO Nav displays, another running 3 monitors only 2 are used for PSX for the Upper and lower EICAS and the 3rd display client running 3 monitors two of which are my CDU-L and CDU-R... eventually it will also have a 4th screen for CDU-C. My display machines are HP Z400 workstations with FirePro graphics card each with 4 DP's which can all run at 1920x1080 max res.

I used to have black screen issues but once I made the layouts read-only the screens seem to return to normal even when I accidently remote connect to one of the PC's while PSX is running (causing all screens to end up on the one remote display...

Just a thought..

Cheers,
AlexB
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Zangdaarr

It's working ! Thank you ! I read your tutorial by the way

Next step is to connect MSFS using WidePSX, hope it won't be too hard !