News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Using both PSX and FSX — Part 3 of the "Getting started" series

Started by brian747, Thu, 20 Aug 2015 14:09

brian747

This started out as a series of scibbled notes to myself when I was trying to smoothly integrate PSX with FSX via Garry's superb VisualPSX program. The notes gradually accumulated to the point where it was necessary to type them up (my handwriting is deteriorating as the years go by, I find) and store them on my PSX machine. But then I had the idea of trying to integrate the various procedures into a new version of the "Summarised List" from part 2 of "Getting started with PSX", so that gradually it became a much bigger document than I had originally intended; and now it has reached the point where it might perhaps be of some use to others.

So here, to celebrate the (approximate) anniversary of PSX's release, is the final part of the "Getting started with PSX" series, which discusses in more depth some of the issues encountered when integrating PSX and FSX into a single coherent flying experience, using Garry's VisualPSX. I suspect, therefore, that it may also be applicable when using PSX with P3D and VisualPSX, or FSX-SE with VisualPSX, but have no way of knowing. And some of the principles involved might perhaps even be helpful when using PSX with X-Plane or other scenery generators, but I have no idea at all whether that might be the case.    8)

The document discusses:

The simmer's need for additional "eye candy" (over and above the visuals incorporated into PSX itself).

The problems and conflicts which are encountered when trying to use the PSX gate positions with FSX's airport scenery gate positions.

How to change the Shift-Z FSX position display to show the accurate position and True heading as required for input into PSX.

The provision of an extended version of the "summarised list" that was included in Part 2 of the "Getting Started with PSX" series to cover the additional steps required.

How to harmonise the gate positions in whatever FSX airport scenery you may be using with the needs of PSX.

Whether the aircraft doors need to be open or shut at the gate.

FSX weather presentation, and when to start external weather generators (if used).

At what point VisualPSX needs to be started, taking into account the pushback mechanism in use (PSX / GSX / other).

Synchronising doors and engine start with various PSX add-ons.

Worst case scenarios (usually, freeware airports whose layouts and/or gates may bear little resemblance to PSX or current airport charts).

There are also three appendices:

The FSX controls for its default 747's door, engines, and parking brake (for reference).

A brief description of the VisualPSX locking and slewing mechanisms (see Garry's documentation for the latest details).

An extended and updated standalone version of the "summarised list", taking into account (wherever possible) all of the above.

I hope that someone might find something useful within the document. As you may have guessed, it can be found on the Miscellaneous page at http://aerowinx.com/html/misc.html

My huge thanks to both Hardy and to Garry for their superb software!     :)

Cheers,

Brian

Edit HH: Link added.
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

cavaricooper

Brian-

Brilliant! I will read as soon as I return home. Of particular interest to me is configuration allowing me to run VisualPSX and TrafficPSX on the second (non P3d+PSX) machine.

A reading of Garry's documents indicates it may be possible, however, at the moment I run them both on the main machine.

Perhaps you can expand to including WeatherPSX as well?

Many thanks- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

brian747

Hi, C!

I hope you won't be too disappointed to discover that I only cover the areas listed in the first post, so nothing about TrafficPSX or WeatherPSX, I'm afraid.   :(

However I run VisualPSX on the same machine as FSX, with PSX itself on a different machine, and that configuration works perfectly. giving impressive smoothness.

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

cavaricooper

Brian-

There will be no disappointment, only appreciation for your efforts.

Perhaps later you will want to send ASN Wx (upper winds) to PSX for long haul... and want to share your experience...

Best- Carl
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

brian747

Hi, Carl!

And thank you for your understanding.

In fact, trying to combine ASN weather with REX textures and PSX is on my to-do list, although there are a few other items to cover first....    ;)

Best wishes,

Brian

Dennis B

Brian,

Thanks a lot for "part 3" of your superb series of tutorials. I've almost overseen it, just by incident I saw that there was a new issue under the "Miscellaneous" tab of the Aerowinx website. You really need to advertise your stuff better  :P Your work greatly adds to the enjoyment of using PSX.

cavaricooper

Brian-

Just wanted to update to let you know that I was finally able to streamline the process.

I only run P3D, PSX, PSXonMCP2 and vPilot Traffic Proxy on my SIM machine.
The SUPPORT machine runs 1 PSX Client, VisualPSX, TrafficPSX, BAACARS, PSXWx, ASN (sending REX4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds to P3D) and vPilot.
One iPad runs PSXRemote for the CDU, the other my approach plates.

Additionally I also run PFPX, TOPCAT, Vataware etc. on the SUPPORT machine.

This combination seems to finally satisfy all my requirements for balanced performance AND eye-candy.

It was a bit tricky getting all the bits and bobs to talk to each other, and should you like, I would be happy to share my experience with you (off this list). 

I remain grateful for your documentation, it was the catalyst that prodded me into final action :)

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

brian747

@Dennis

Thank you: I'm very happy if I was able to add a little something to your PSX experience.   :)

@Carl

Great stuff, and many thanks for sharing your configuration!

As you say, I'm sure that the secret lies in tuning things to suit your own particular combination of hardware and software, so well done for persevering!

All the best, guys,    :D

Brian

GodAtum

Thank you for the excellent doc, I can try and go back to P3D following your guide!

It's a shame GSX cannot offer realistic pushback, as the screens in PSX dont move while GSX is pushing back.

brian747

If I might suggest....

Have a look at the comments in my doc about when FSX (including GSX, of course) is in control, and when PSX is.

Since GSX is operating on the FSX puppet aircraft during its pushback, naturally you won't see any effect in PSX, only in the FSX presentation. When the GSX pushback is complete and the aircraft has stopped moving you can read the new FSX position from the display, inform PSX of the new aircraft position, and *then* connect them together using VisualPSX.

But you'll find that it's all in the doc.    ;)

Cheers,

Brian

GodAtum

I meant that not being able to see any effect in PSX in unrealistic, as you mentioned. I suppose PSX pushback will have to do for now.

brian747

Understood: thank you.

To take advantage of the VisualPSX -> FSX eye candy, I suppose my brain has become used to (broadly speaking) looking at the PSX presentation for the cockpit stuff, and FSX's for the outside view — notably when taxying and pushing back using GSX. (I run PSX on a different machine to FSX, which may perhaps make it easier for me to mentally separate out the functions of each).

It's another of those things that all depends on your setup, and also how you sim, I suppose.    :)

Cheers,

Brian