News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Starting a PSX network with special preferences

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Wed, 1 Jul 2015 06:42

RogerH

Hi Hardy,

just trying this for the first time with only 2 different setups.

I have made all layouts the same in a1.9pack, so that no matter what I do, I always get the same view of the PFD and ND in this instance.

For a2.9pack, I have 9 different layouts ranging from the pedestal to overhead, P2 instruments etc.

This way I can access different parts of the cockpit in a2.9pack while always seeing the P1 view in a1.9pack.

Is there a way of changing a2.9pack views while a1.9pack is the active screen? When windows focus is on the a1 instance, a2 views do not change when I'm pressing different numbers on the number pad.

Hope that makes sense?

Cheers,

Roger.

Edit - don't worry, got it Preferences/Basics/This client gets layout selection commands - RTFM!

Hardy Heinlin

You're right, Roger. Just select the checkbox "This client gets layout selection commands".

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

So many people have been trying to many unforeseen things with PSX, that basically all helpful items are already in there, somewhere.   :-)

RogerH

Yep - I really should look harder ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hardy Heinlin

Did you know that this ツ is a Japanese character?

It means "the sausage is ready". No, just joking ...

RogerH

It's all Greek to me... αλλά μιλώ ελληνικά τόσο καλά

speedyabz

Just to clarify for my simple mind...going back to original post...when setting up the second (and subsequent) PSX "instances", am I double-clicking "AeroWinxStart.jar" again to commence the second instance and so on ? Thanks.

Paul.

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Paul, which steps do you mean? There are 15 steps in this example.

Every step describes every action required. Only step 1 instructs you to start AerowinxStart.jar. None of the following steps instruct you to restart AerowinxStart.jar.

During this PSX session you just use PSX to create some layout files and pref files in some Aerowinx subfolders. These files can later be used by multiple PSX instances that start from the same Aerowinx root folder.

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Wed,  1 Jul 2015 06:42
In this example, 3 instances of PSX will be started from one and the same Aerowinx folder. Each PSX instance will use a dedicated layout file.

Go to your Aerowinx folder and double-click on AerowinxStart.jar. One PSX instance will start.

When this one PSX instance runs, adjust the layout as desired for your first PSX instance. Be sure that number 1 of the 9-pack is shown. When PSX starts, it always starts with number 1 of the loaded 9-pack. Drag the frame, subframes, zoom, pan etc. until you're happy. Then go to Instructor > Layouts > Save and save this layout 9-pack as "a1.9pack".

Don't quit PSX. Keep it running and adjust the layout as desired for your second PSX instance. Be sure that number 1 of the 9-pack is shown. Adjust it until you're happy. Then go to Instructor > Layouts > Save and save this layout 9-pack as "a2.9pack".

Don't exit PSX. Keep it running and adjust the layout as desired for your third PSX instance. Be sure that number 1 of the 9-pack is shown. Adjust it until you're happy. Then go to Instructor > Layouts > Save and save this layout 9-pack as "a3.9pack".

Go to Instructor > Preferences > Save and save the current preferences as "a1.pref".

Go to Instructor > Preferences > USB and select "USB" off.

Go to Instructor > Preferences > Audio and select "Audio" off.

Go to Instructor > Preferences > Basics and select "Start with main client on". Under "Start with layout" enter "a2.9pack". Deselect the checkbox "Allow paper sheet simulation".

Go to Instructor > Preferences > Save and save the current preferences as "a2.pref".

Go to Instructor > Preferences > Basics, and under "Start with layout" enter "a3.9pack".

Go to Instructor > Preferences > Save and save the current preferences as "a3.pref".

Go to Instructor > Preferences > Load and load "a1.pref".

Go to Instructor > Preferences > Basics and select "Start with main server on". Under "Start with layout" enter "a1.9pack".

Go to Instructor > Preferences > Save and save the current preferences as "a1.pref".

Quit PSX and open the file Aerowinx/AerowinxNetStart.ini with a text editor. Erase all the text. Then enter this:
a1.pref
a2.pref
a3.pref

Save this new text to Aerowinx/AerowinxNetStart.ini. Your automatic net start is now configured.

speedyabz

Just confused...stand alone PC running two monitors - just added a Flightdeck Solutions CDU and completely lost on what / how to get the PFD/ND on one screen, Captain's view out cockpit window on upper display and the correct info to display on the CDU. I know there are a lot of articles on display set up, but I get lost on "instances", what files run when and whether the CDU is another "instance" or a network client etc... Been using your great software for many years, and I understand you cannot give detailed directions on every possible scenario, but some guidance on this would be helpful. I'm totally lost. Sorry!

Paul.

speedyabz

SOLVED !!!! Found your very helpful post from while back. New Ethernet version of FDS CPU works like a charm with your software. Thank you! Merry Christmas !!

Paul

JP59

Hello Hardy,

I am using PSX for years, but only discover the power of the NetStart now, during my home simulator upgrade. I knew about this functionality, but never took time to give it a try. I should have done this before because it is a very powerfull tool for cockpit builders.

However, there is a (very) small cloud in this clear sky. My flight deck computers don't have any keyboard or mouse connected. When I start the two PSX instances using the NetStart, the layouts are well loaded, at the right position, no problem. The only issue is that the Instructor window is automatically opened at startup and is displayed over the last loaded layout. I need to keep having a keyboard connected with my computer only to press the  "ESC" key to hide the Instructor window at every startup. Is there a way or option to avoid the Instructor window to pop up at the PSX startup ?

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

JP59

Thank you very much Jeroen.

Best regards
Jean-Philippe

turbodiddley

Is there a way to add more Aerowinxnetstart.jar files, each accessing unique Aerowinxnetstart.ini files?

For example, would like to have aerowinxnetstart1.jar, aerowinxnetstart2.jar, etc, and corresponding ini files.

Hardy Heinlin

If you want to prepare miscellaneous network setups, you don't need miscellaneous AerowinxNetStart.jar files. You just need miscellaneous AerowinxNetStart.ini files.

You could set individual ini file names, e.g.:

myCoffee.ini
myPizza.ini

And when you want to use myPizza.ini, just rename it to AerowinxNetStart.ini before sim start.

I guess such changes are very rare as you don't change your computer system every day. However, if you really change your system so often, you can make a copy of your whole Aerowinx folder on the same computer (e.g. call the copy "AeroPizza") and set a special ini there. A folder takes ca. 3 GB.

turbodiddley

That will work perfectly Hardy. Thank you!

Mmmm, pizza.