News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Old RealShear thread

Started by Balt, Sat, 27 Jun 2015 07:23

Balt

Thread will be moved to the pit, please see the this thread here for discussions on RealShear.

Edit: Subject changed by HH.

GodAtum

wow amazing. perhaps Britjet can make a video on this? :)

Britjet

Sorry - I don't have the add-on.
Peter

cavaricooper

Reading this post got me thinking... from my limited (read myopic) perspective, this seems to be the one company that produces "for sale" add-ons for PSX.  Everyone else I see, does this for the love of the 744, and with a more altruistic standpoint.

Commercial application fees are totally appropriate.  Home end user fees, using information obtained from a forum of enthusiasts, all in love with with the same fat girl, may be less so.  Whilst I am not against free enterprise, I see questions that now support paid applications, being asked again and again, and HOPE that at least Hardy is seeing some sort of monetary benefit from this.....

This is but ONE perspective, and I respectfully stipulate and UNDERSTAND there will be others.  This whole forum is SO DIFFERENT than most, that this sort of thing left me a bit unsettled... hence this post.

Hardy- feel free to delete should this be counterproductive.  The 744 and especially PSX  thriving is much more important than a single viewpoint.

Respectfully- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: cavaricooperWhilst I am not against free enterprise, I see questions that now support paid applications, being asked again and again, and HOPE that at least Hardy is seeing some sort of monetary benefit from this.....
Just to avoid a possible misunderstanding: I am not, and don't want to be, affiliated with any commercial PSX add-on maker, be it hardware or software. All benefit should go to the add-on maker.

Add-on marketing, support, and pricing lies in the hands of the add-on maker :-) That's not my business. I already have a full time job with PSX itself.

Best wishes,

|-|ardy

Balt

Hi,

Would you care to explain which part of any of my products that are for sale are based on information obtained from a public forum?

RealShear is a professional training tool. It is out of the pure goodness of my heart that you as a home user can purchase the rights to its use for a reasonable fee. It is based upon months of hard work decrypting (publicly available, but not in this forum) flight data recorder files, and also upon years of experience writing software, flying airplanes, and training in "the real deal".

Charging for a plugin is after all the only sign of appreciation that you, the end user of our software, can show to support us and to keep us going. From that perspective I don't understand those who don't charge.

If/when Hardy reads this, you may want to move these two posts (or however many will have gathered by then) into a new thread.

Cheers

- Balt

Balt

Quote from: BritjetSorry - I don't have the add-on.
Peter

If you'd like to make a video on the uses of RealShear I'd be happy to provide you with a license.

Cheers

- Balt

Gary Oliver

Balt,

QuoteFrom that perspective I don't understand those who don't charge.

This is because the PSX community is very unique.  We have a forum here full of brilliant people who contribute in their own way to the community:-

-We have pilots who provide information on operating a 747, sometimes trying things out on the real aircraft and simulators to help Hardy make PSX by far the most realistic simulation ever written for desktop PC's, as well as some excellent training videos.

-We have engineers who provide amazing insight into how the real aircraft works some of who take time out of their day to go and test things and dig and dig and dig until they find the answer.

-We have software guys who program addons to expand PSX to take advantage of the amazing work Hardy has done with the network interface.

-We have electronics geniuses who manage to come up with wild and varying ways on how to make PSX talk to real hardware.

-We have talented writers who provide tutorials and help to others.

-We have people spending days decoding performance documents, having never coded before, but others in the forum have helped turn it into a DLL we can all use.  

-We have everyone else in the forum who contributes in their own way too (even Craig)

So the way I see it, as an addon developer my contribution is actually a very small part of the community.  Without Hardy and everyone elses help I couldn't write BACARS and all the other little tools.  

Therefore I give away all my stuff, as does Garry, Michael, Martin, Avi, Hoppie, John, Nico, Benny, Craig etc as in return I get to use all of their software free of charge as well as get help from everyone on the forum.  For example some of us cockpit builders are sending parts to each other, information on this and that, it all works out in the end.

The minute money changes hands things start to change.  People are less likely to contribute, expectations and pressure are raised and for what?  A few hundred dollars at the most?  

I am sure any of us will buy each other a beer if we ever meet in real life.  Job Done!

The PSX Community... Unrivalled anywhere else...Absolutely Brilliant!

Kind Regards

Gary

cavaricooper

@Gary-
Exactly my sentiments- Ta!

@Balt-
I appreciate your different views, and respectfully ask for the same appreciation of mine.

PSX and this forum are collectively (IMHO) the largest single non-commercial repository of information for the 744 enthusiast, and I am greatly appreciative of my ability to interact here.  

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Just to throw more beer onto the floor.

I always held one primary rule high: I made most of my contributions to PS1/X free, because I wanted to make no commitment whatsoever on the future maintenance of any of them. And I am very glad I did, with a few things that simply were unsustainable. FlightLine and SB747 come to mind. I sleep better because I have no worries about these commitments.

I also made a few add-ons by commission, and either charged nothing except the hardware they were for, or wrote a standard development contract, handing over all sources after the development was done and accepted, so that again I could sleep better.

I totally understand, and approve, that people who do make a firm commitment to maintain what looks like labour-intensive tools, actually ask a reasonable contribution for this. Especially if there is sufficient try-before-you-buy built into the process. Note this also includes PSX itself, in the form of the manual and the extensive Forum.

So as long as there is a free choice to buy or not buy, and no unfair things happen, I don't see why not?

Some people here actually live off these things. Hey, I built my new career on it. I'd better earn a living from it. I definitely will charge for tools that I know are mostly/only of use for professional, commercial users and (therefore) cost me ten times the development time as for "mere hobbyists". The line is very thin on this Forum, but I know for sure that spending 100 more hours on a program sometimes definitely will lead to people wanting to pay, or pay more.

Hoppie

Balt

@C (what's your real name anyway?): In your first post you've made a serious accusation that my work is based on publicly available and free information from this forum - that's another way of saying my work is plagiarising other people's work.

If you want your views and opinions respected, you need to substantiate such claims, otherwise they're just a dirty slur. That's neither nice, nor respectful. It also shows you obviously don't have much of an idea how much time and effort goes into developing and testing of physically accurate microburst and windshear models.

This is a sad development I have to say. I'm standing here at the edge of the playground where I just brought this shiny new toy I've been working on for over six months and now all the kiddos are upset it isn't free and start throwing sand (or beer, although Hoppie seems to have a much more thoughtful and considerate view on the issue of selling or giving away - an opinion I share btw).

I would have expected to be answering questions about RealShear in this thread, not to have to defend whether I am allowed to sell my intellectual property by verdict of the plebs.

Cheers to all that spilt beer...

- Balt

cavaricooper

Balt-

My name is Carl.  

I am not making any accusations, just observations that you have been an active participant on this forum, asking for and receiving assistance in various matters.  That is the spirit of this forum, and of the PSX community.  That is what makes PSX special.  It is the spirit fostered by PS1 and flourishing here and now.

You are perfectly within your prerogative to charge for your work.  I am not disputing your intellect or your experience or your viewpoint.  I am certainly not going to name call.  By the way, you are mostly right, in your suggestion of my inexperience when it comes to the 744.  I am only a private pilot, who has had a love affair with this airframe for a couple of decades plus.

There is no verdict, no indictment, no sand throwing- just an alternative viewpoint.  As you have clearly stated, it is different from yours and different from what is mostly seen here in the PSX community.  That's all.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Balt

Carl,

I suppose we could talk about the psychology of your need for posting an "observation" that is in no way, shape or form relevant to the topic of the thread (which is, to remind you, RealShear), and then perhaps we can discuss what constitutes an accusation in a semantic sense.

Except, this is is not the forum thread to do this. If you take issue with my practise of creating addons for sale, please post in this thread I opened in the pit http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=2986, instead of (successfully) hijacking my thread.

If you have any questions about RealShear on the other hand, please continue posting here!

Cheers

- Balt

Balt

Hardy pointed out a pricing error. The standard license is $9.99, not $49.99! This has been updated. Existing customers will receive a refund for the difference via Paypal. Apologies to all!

Cheers

- Balt

cagarini

Balt,

all I would like to say, after reading across this thread is:

- Thank you for offering this payware add-on!  

I will most probably register it, sooner or latter. For it's symbolic price, it is peanuts compared to what I have payed for years for useless stuff for MSFS, X-Plane....

One question: PSX already includes a very detailed and I'd say unique weather model, including shear simulation.  I assume your add-on only "lloks" at the situ and extracts / displays additional info that can be used to examine the event, right ?  Or is it also meant to "inject" shear situations, probably even modeled outside of PSX in it's intensity and effects ?

Looking fwd for more interesting, payware or freeware add-ons...

Ah!  I would gladly pay a registration fee for VisualPSX, which the only add-on I presently use with PSX, but has give me the chance to have very plausible out-of-windshield views and to actually give some use to an otherwise dead sim in my rig, and the amount I spent in ORBX FTX Global.

Balt

Thank you jcomm, your encouraging words mean a lot.

I've updated to v1.0.1, there are now cheaper and even FREE licenses available. Check the first post for details.

Cheers

- Balt

Hardy Heinlin

The general discussion re selling add-ons continues here:

http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?id=2986