News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX BACARS - V4.0.9

Started by Gary Oliver, Tue, 24 Mar 2015 19:44

Toga

Ok, will buzz you tomorrow! Cheers.
It's gotta be an issue with xview, surely.

Toga

Gary,

Had a chance to test it out and all seemed fine this time. Only difference was i didn't touch the wind uplink function.

Gary Oliver

Toga,

I will see if I can do you a version of BACARS that doesn't do the wind uplink so you can use them again.

Cheers
G

Toga

It's ok, Gary. No need to go out of your way, particularly with hardy's plans to introduce wind corridors etc. I'll just wait for that.

Cheers!

Toga

Gary,

Is there anyway BACARS is able to retrieve and print a loadsheet with the data from PSX dispatch?

Gary Oliver

Toga,

Not at the moment, but we did figure this would be quite a nice feature to have.  I know the BA airbus fleet receive their loadsheet x minutes before departure.

As far as I am aware this doesn't happen on the jumbo with only the final loadsheet sent on taxi out?  Unless any Jumbo pilots can correct me here.

However I think for our sim world we finally have a use for that WT/BAL Request button that doesn't appear to do anything real world :-)

Cheers
G

GodAtum

I read somewhere the 747 now needs ETOPS? is there a way to add that to the simbrief generation on your dispatch website?

cavaricooper

Mr. Bell's PFPX files have EROPS contingencies within them.

HTH- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

As far as I know, the ETOPS/EROPS/whatever summary for four-engined airplanes is:

* Four-engined planes can go 180 minutes from a runway without any special provision.
* The 747-8 got a special cert for 330 minutes.

It is not just proven statistical engine reliability. Fire suppression etc. is included.

Hoppie

torrence

ETOPS: "Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim" - I've seen that in a number of places.  I still get nervous on 2 eng flights (of whatever model) from LA to Hawaii as we approach the approximate mid-point (old point of no return), when you are committed to continue to the islands on one engine if necessary - and no little atolls or even mid-ocean Coast Guard vessels on weather station anymore if you have to ditch.  I know, I know - they have run the numbers to certify the ETOPS ... but I still get nervous.

Added information - When even 4 engines were not enough - Pan Am Flight 6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_6

I remember this one vividly.  I was 12 yrs old at the time and my dad had just taken command of USCGC Gresham, based in Alameda, CA near Oakland.  The cutters there shared the rotation for maintaining Ocean Station November with cutters from Long Beach - the Pontchrartrain had the duty when the Pan Am ditching occurred.  Made a real impression on the CG family - reminded everyone they weren't just out there to box the compass for 30 day deployments, sending up weather balloons, although that was their primary function, along with radio communications with aircraft, in the pre weather satellite  days.

Cheers
Torrence

DougSnow

There is an FAA OpSpec (B344) for 4-Engine ETOPS beyond 180 minutes from an adequate airport for passenger aircraft. And when they operated 747s, no US airline took the FAA up on it, and limited their 747s to 180 minutes from an adequate airport.

There is no requirement for ops under ETOPS, even beyond 180, for US-registered all-cargo 747s.

torrence

Interesting, Doug

For dispatch is there an automatic check for meeting the 180 min requirement or is route selection limited to those that are known to be compliant?  I would assume there aren't too many possible, non-pathological, routes where you couldn't make an adequate airport in 3hrs even with two engines out?

Cheers
Torrence

Interesting to see that interpolation of winds aloft from 'real' data is still a hot PSX topic.  Reminds me of when we were trading spreadsheets to do this for PS1  :)
T

Cheers
Torrence

DougSnow

Its usually route selection with a known radius, for other than Central US - South Pacific, or across the South Atlantic, you've got to work really hard at not being 180.

torrence

Thanks - what I figured basically.
Cheers
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Martin Baker

Hi. I've been using BACARS for 3 months and it's great, but in the last couple of weeks on the weather request page, SEND has become SENT and it's no longer possible to send a request. I don't think anything has altered in my setup and I've tried restarting several times - any idea what the issue might be?

Thanks,

Martin

torrence

Hi Martin

This issue cropped up about a year ago.  Search for topic " BACARS WX/AIS Problem ".  Yours is probably the same - trying to SEND a new request before the print out from a previous request completes will virtually 'jam' the printer.  One work around is just to treat it as a feature and don't do that.  Gary also suggested getting rid of some xml files and that worked for me - not sure he has gotten around to fix in the code yet.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Martin Baker

Quote from: torrence on Mon, 20 May 2019 19:33
Hi Martin

This issue cropped up about a year ago.  Search for topic " BACARS WX/AIS Problem ".  Yours is probably the same - trying to SEND a new request before the print out from a previous request completes will virtually 'jam' the printer.  One work around is just to treat it as a feature and don't do that.  Gary also suggested getting rid of some xml files and that worked for me - not sure he has gotten around to fix in the code yet.

Cheers,
Torrence

Brilliant - all sorted - many thanks Torrence, and sorry for not spotting the dedicated thread.

Just in case anyone looks here, go to the Resources folder in the BACARS directory and delete the 2 .xml files.

Thanks again,

M

torrence

Question re: Printing flight plan from SimBrief

Trying to get printable version of flight plan - used to to work fine with the "download OFP" button to get a hard copy or PDF file of flight plan, but when I tried it today the FLIGHT PLAN button just produces a screen flash but no file.  Info is all there in the scroll down box but I can't seem to find a way to get a printable version.  What am I missing?

Cheers
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

torrence

Problem resolved, I think.  The system now generates the OPF pdf file and sends it to my Downloads without opening it on screen.  Perfectly reasonable - I just have to make note to open it and put it where I want it for the flight.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Gary Oliver

Torrence,

I haven't made any changes to simfest dispatch in months now.

It sounds like a setting your browser has changed to automatically download PDFs rather than show them in the browser.

Cheers
G