News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX BACARS - V4.0.9

Started by Gary Oliver, Tue, 24 Mar 2015 19:44

JohnH

Not sure but I believe the pilot name should be 5 letters no spaces?

John

RogerH

Sorry, my bad - typo. Should read "my name as ROGER in LDG PILOT"

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: RogerH on Sun, 16 Sep 2018 17:55
I've had a look at the log on Hoppie's ACARS network page, and it says the flight has been relayed, eg:

Msg#    From     To           Type             Received    Relayed
2083567    BA1450    BAW    telex    16-16:46Z    16-16:46Z
2083566    BA1450    BAW    telex    16-16:43Z    16-16:43Z
2083565    BA1450    BAW    progress    16-16:43Z    16-16:43Z

Yup. SATCOM transceiver works as designed. It's the ground system (again).

Sim stuff is just as real life, waaaaaaay too often...
http://www.fans-cra.com/report/de-identified/list/

Hoppie
(washes hands)

Gary Oliver

The BACARS OOOI system doesn't use the hoppie  network to save the data.

I'll have a look and see if I can see anything obvious... but low on Sim time at the moment.

RogerH

Thanks Gary.

Edit - Hi Gary, with Worldflight only a month away, I'm sure your time is very limited, but if you have the chance I'd appreciate you having a quick look at this to see if there's something obviously wrong?

RogerH

Hi Gary,

with Worldflight only a month away, I'm sure your time is very limited, but if you have the chance I'd appreciate you having a quick look at this to see if there's something obviously wrong?

With apologies to the forum admin for bumping the thread :-/

Cheers,

Roger.

GodAtum

Just wanted to report a bug?

KJFK on RW31L, perf page produces a sheet with:

QuoteSYSTEM ERROR CONTACT FTD
CHECK RUNWAY + ICAO

beat578

Hi Gary
Thanks for that really really cool tool. I have a silly question: Is there something like a "ACARS FOR DUMMIES" sort of thing to get you started, if you never had anything to do with acars? I read the part in hardy's manual. Still i found it quite hard to find my way into it. Do you know if anyone made something like an Acars guide to help a complete newbie understand the system and how to use it properly? Thanks!

Kind Regards
Beat LSZH

cagarini

Quote from: beat578 on Wed,  9 Jan 2019 09:54
Hi Gary
Thanks for that really really cool tool. I have a silly question: Is there something like a "ACARS FOR DUMMIES" sort of thing to get you started, if you never had anything to do with acars? I read the part in hardy's manual. Still i found it quite hard to find my way into it. Do you know if anyone made something like an Acars guide to help a complete newbie understand the system and how to use it properly? Thanks!

Kind Regards
Beat LSZH

I'm on the same boat :-)

Gary Oliver

Gentlemen,

There are a couple of videos I did with Simfest Dispatch Centre about a year ago that explain the process of using dispatch centre and BACARS however it doesn't cover everything.

Step 1 - Planning - https://youtu.be/BoBTL9S0UDk
Step 2 - Onboard - https://youtu.be/I3OMbxtrX-Q

Simon has kindly offered to write a manual for the entire BACARS solution which will be released when its ready.  In the meantime hopefully the video will help.

Cheers
Gary

torrence

It's not the full manual, but I find the PSX.NET.Dispatch Guide covers a lot of the aspects of using BACARS that I found confusing at first.
Cheers
Torrence

Martin Baker

Quick question: a few weeks ago I tried BACARS briefly, connecting it from a windows machine (with PSX.Net) over the network to a mac running PSX. It aoounced the connection OK from the windows side but I wasn't able to use it in PSX - the ACARS CDU basically just froze. I'll try it again soon when I get PSX running on the windows machine too - was this what caused the problem (PSX and BACARS on diffferent machines) or could there have been something else getting in the way?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

General ACARS stuff is also available here:

http://www.hoppie.nl/acars/

Don't try to use the details on interfaces as those of course are different, but why ACARS exists and so is still ok. And Wikipedia also has stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACARS

Markus Vitzethum

> There are a couple of videos I did with Simfest Dispatch Centre about a year
> ago that explain the process of using dispatch centre and BACARS however it
> doesn't cover everything.

Very nice, thank you.

One quick question though ... is adding additional airlines (or airline codes) anti-faff or are there any requirements for that?

Cheers,
  Markus

Gary Oliver

Markus,

Just tell me what you want and I can add it.  A 5 minute job.

Cheers
G

Markus Vitzethum

Great, thank you.

If you don't mind adding a fictional airline, STV / Stevens would be great.  :D

Looking at what I have flown recently using PSX:
DLH / Lufthansa
CLX / Cargolux     and ICV / Cargolux Italia
KAL / Korean Airlines
CCA / Air China    and CAO / Air China Cargo
NCA / Nippon Cargo Airlines
UPS / UPS
PAC / Polar Air Cargo    would help too...

I think KLM / KLM  would be missing, too.

Cheers,
  Markus

p.s.
I have a list with 20 more current operators of the 747/747F ... not sure if it makes sense to have all operators in the dispatch, which might be used only sporadically?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: Markus Vitzethum on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:11
I think KLM / KLM  would be missing, too.
KLM / Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij

:-P

torrence

Hi Jeroen

Maatschappij is an interesting word- the KL in KLM is easy: "royal air travel" - but doing a quick search on the web,  Maatschappij seems to have more complicated meanings, from "an extended social group having a distinctive cultural and economic organization" to something more like "company" which I assume is the applicable nuance for KLM.

By the way, I assume that the recent launch that put the final IRIDIUM satellites in place will result in good things for your systems - if the US gov ever gets back to work properly  :(

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

"Maatschappij" indeed varies from "society" to "company" and in this case definitely is a commercial company. I'm not ready to write "KLM / Air France" just yet, I admit.

Since about a year I have been seeing remarkable improvement in Iridium's reliability. Before, there was a 7-minute complete signal gap about once every two hours, as a dead satellite/L-band transceiver passed over. Iridium wisely replaced the most dead satellites first. The last six to be replaced RSN are of remarkably good health for the old block-one satellites. We are now nearing 99.9% reliability with the occasional "oops" when Iridium reboots a satellite right over our head (otherwise we would not notice).

FAA shutdown = delay during shutdown + delay during catch-up with same resources = 6 weeks at least. More like 8-12. So whatever was planned in March is already down the drain. This will reach far into June, we're afraid.

Hoppie

G-CIVA

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 16:42Just tell me what you want and I can add it.  A 5 minute job.

Gary

Here are the ICAO/IATA codes for the model files HH kindly made available that I produced for the community.  I have also added the default weight measurement (KG or LB) since that can be changed for BACARS output too.

A good starter for 10 I think?

ACT Airlines RUN 9T KG

AirBridgeCargo ABW RU KG

Air Atlanta Icelandic ABD CC KG

Air Cargo Global CCC CW KG

Air China Cargo CAO CA LB

Air Hong Kong AHK LD KG

Air India AIC AI KG

Asiana Airlines AAR OZ LB

ASL Airlines TAY 3V KG

Atlas Air GTI 5Y KG

British Airways BAW BA KG