News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Training videos

Started by Britjet, Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:23

emerydc8

Did I miss a few updates since December 6?

QuoteJust to be clear: I won't remove the 30 sec delay for the MAP. I'll just remove the delay for the VTK flag and the active waypoint's ETA & DTG -- those will disappear immediately.

These 30 seconds refer to the volatile FMC memory (INIT REF stuff, i.e. POS REF, PERF etc.) and the volatile CDU memory (standby nav). The data will vanish after 30 seconds. (While the nonvolatile magnetic-bubble memory stores the databases and routes only).

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=3422.msg41870#msg41870

Hardy Heinlin

The quoted stuff will be in 10.1.1.

The LNAV/VNAV yellow line stuff, based on that video, was already implemented in one of the last updates.

emerydc8

Thanks, Hardy. Happy New Year to you!

godot

I am very late to this party, but nonetheless I would like to thank Peter for these most instructive videos. I particularly like his structured approach of teaching and his calm and laid-back narrative style!

Britjet

Thanks godot!
Peter.

funkyhut

Hi Peter,
I'm just returning to PSX after a 2 year hiatus and am amazed to see how many more great videos you've added. Thank you so much.
In "getting back" I've joined The WWV Airline where I bumped into Brian C again. In his usual friendly and helpful way, he has been helping me with WWV.
In our email exchanges we've been talking about Kai Tak around the new PMDG 744 v3 and an adapted AIRAC I have which includes all the VHHX procedures. I was based in Hong Kong in the 80's and was a member of the HKAC on the other side of 13 opposite the terminal and tower. Maybe you visited?
Anyhow. Brian pointed me at your RW adaptation of the IGS 13 and he sent me the written instructions which I have not tried yet but will shortly. As he put it, transitioning from vlying the VisualPsx puppet.
In the 172 back then I was able to fly the IGS procedure but 95% of the time had to break off at Stonecutter's because flight in a single engine at the IGS altitudes was prohibited. I say 95% of the time because sometime early on a Sunday morning I was cleared to land but to maintain 1000 ft on the approach till passing RW.
Then on other occasions I was able to get the visual step down to 13 or the CC NDB let down, again maintaining 1000ft till over the airfield.
Enough of my indulgence. Often in the winter with good visibility, Tower would go to the visual to 13 with the IGS as an option on request. I once jump seated the visual in a CX Tristar from Manila.
So, probably a request of one but all the same I'll try. Is it possible for you to make a video of the 13 visual step down approach or the CC NDB direct. I have the charts and can email them to you. Maybe you did it for real? For CX it was a regular thing when available because it saved the whole CH GOLF IGS procedure.
Thanks and sorry to bother you. And again, thanks for all the great stuff.
By the way, that picture of you passing the checkerboard is full of memories, sitting on the roof of the club and watching the huge variation in height as flights passed in the turn. Indian Airlines always way high cutting the corner and some, no names, going so wide that they passed at full steam to make it to the runway. BA, UA, CX, SQ and QA were amongst those who were constently at about the same altitude passing our rooftop marker stick.
Kindest
Chris.
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

Britjet

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the post - some fascinating insights! - I'm not particularly familiar with the step-down or the direct procedure, but it would be interesting to see the charts, and if it looks suitable I will add it to my list.
Email P dot ward3 @ btinternet.com.
Thanks!
Peter.

funkyhut

Thanks Peter. Email sent.
Chris Stanley.

funkyhut

Hi Peter,
In your VNAV climb video at 7:58 you close the speed window. What do you press to do that?
Thanks.2
Chris Stanley.

funkyhut

Sorry but answered!
Chris Stanley.

Adrian

I must say these videos are brilliant.  I used them to help me on my conversion course onto the 744, and although there are a few things which have been updated recently, pretty much all things here are an excellent introduction to BA SOPs and what's in the FCTM. 

I met Peter coming out of the BA sim just before going into my final check several months ago now. 

If there is anything I can add to these excellent tutorials, please let me know. 

Adrian

Britjet

Hi Adrian!
I remember our meeting! I'm flattered that you found the videos useful.
We have many occasions here on the forum where a current pilot can give some very useful insight or information on many of the technical questions that arise - sometimes at a level that would be beyond even a normal conversion course!
If we can pick your brains from time to time, as well as possibly the occasional pic to confirm something then that would be great. I can only do so much in the sim as you know.
Quite a lot has changed since I left, as you know, and any updates are always welcome!
Please get in touch - p DOT ward3 AT btinternet.com
Thanks again..
Peter

Adrian

Hi Peter,

Email sent. 

Britjet

Thanks Adrian. I'm 90% of the way through a new video at the moment but have been very busy of late..
It's "Low Visibility Ops" - everyone's favourite!
Peter.

Flex

Peter,

I have just been practising some EFATOs following your guide. Regarding the rudder trim: say you deemed it safe to continue and once the aircraft was cleaned and climbing at the E/O speed, what sort of R.trim settings would you expect during the climb-out to cruise and also during cruise and descent? Would you leave it at ~7 units during the climb and only then adjust once power is changed. I'm guessing A/T is disconnected at the TOC? Outboard failure.

I suppose this scenario would most likely to apply to an engine failure during climb or cruise also.

F

Britjet

Hi Felix.

The 7 units is just a guide - and a useful one to know if you want to set the rudder trim quickly after an outboard failure with a typical derated take-off thrust setting.The idea is to balance the aircraft, of course, using the PFD indicator. As you know the actual rudder deflection on the fin varies with airspeed, although the pedal deflection and the rudder trim applied remains the same, so once it is set you should be good to go until a subsequent thrust change, such as level off, or descent.

Of course the overriding requirement is to have the balance indication in your instrument scan and subsequently alter rudder and/or trim accordingly. Thus an engine failure will always increase handling workload for the flying pilot.

HTH

Peter.

Flex

Thanks very much Peter.

Felix

mjayuk

Hi Peter,

I've just been watching your tutorial on circuits (part 2) and unless I'm mistaken it looks like you have your scenery generator (fsx?) displaying into the windscreen layout in PSX.  How did you do that?

BTW many thanks for your wonderful tutorials.  :)

Mark

Britjet

Hi Mark.
Thanks for the kind remarks. I don't have it installed into the windscreen actually - just a trick of the editing. There are options that will do that, though, I believe. Have a look through the forum and you should find a topic on it.
Peter

eholck