News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Training videos

Started by Britjet, Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:23

Britjet

Thanks, guys!
Charles, I will look into a diversion video..

Peter

tango4

Thanks a lot Peter.

Just for information, here is the type of advice I'm looking for, that is difficult to find in any manual.

*First, the decision making process. How do you select your diversion airfield. Types of criteria that come into play.
Weather of course. Company related problems (is there some ground assistance, etc). How do you know the field is OK for your 747, like go around performance. Is it preselected by the company because you can't do all the maths in the flight deck ? Etc etc...

*Second, now that you decided to divert somewhere, how do you actually proceed there ? Especially some tips on how to deal with it in the FMC, use of secondary flight plan and so on.

This is just my personnal "gray areas" where I would have most to learn.

Anyway, thank you for considereing it.

Charles

Britjet

Will do Charles..
Most diversions are a bit of a fire-fighting exercise anyway but I will put something together..
Peter

cagarini

Thank you Peter for yet another great tutorial!

Hardy Heinlin

(Peter, it looks like you don't get my email replies to your emails. Could you please check your mailbox? I don't want you to think I wouldn't reply! Thanks :-))

Britjet

Hi Hardy

I haven't had any emails from you in the last 2 weeks. Checked junk, spam etc.
I was wondering..
Will send you a test one now..

Peter

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Peter, I just replied to your test email.

|-|ardy

asboyd

Hi Peter,
Have you changed the format of your videos, as I have been able to download all but the newest one using IDM. That way I can watch them when I am travelling, on my laptop which does not have data connectivity while I travel?

Cheers,
Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Britjet

Hi Alex,

No, the format hasn't changed as far as I know...same old same old...
Peter

asboyd

Hmmm, maybe youtube has changed because I still get the download link with your earlier videos, just no this one....
Ah well, will keep trying.

Cheers,
Alex
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Roboman1

Quick question for Britjet - could you elaborate on the FMC CRZ CG setting of 20%. I have struggled to find any information on how the CG changes in flight as fuel is burnt and nobody sets anything other than 20. I would have thought that initially one would subtract the fuel used to TOC and adjust this figure of 20% on the ground and then update it every so often in the cruise as fuel is burnt?

Will

Hi Peter, another question for you if you have a moment.

On another thread, you wrote:

The famous exception to this is the THR switch, which no-one in their right mind touches at any time and which DOES make the wings fall off!

I know what happens when you push it, but what's the rationale? When is it intended to be used? Do people really use it? And why the toung-in-cheek warning about it?

Thanks!
Will /Chicago /USA

torrence

Quote from: Will on Thu, 29 Dec 2016 23:12

The famous exception to this is the THR switch, which no-one in their right mind touches at any time and which DOES make the wings fall off!

I know what happens when you push it, but what's the rationale? When is it intended to be used? Do people really use it? And why the toung-in-cheek warning about it?

After watching Peter's videos, I know that I don't know what the THR button does in all circumstances.  It looks like it was programmed by a non-pilot computer type to cover all possible contingencies (or as an afterthought to plug other holes in the logic).  Peter does cover circumstances where it might be marginally useful.  So I take the 'Makes the wings fall off.' warning as a teaching tool  :) - i.e. "if you don't really understand this button DON'T push it."  And you probably would never need to use it anyway - go to FLCH/SPD and HDG basics if confused.  I've used it in PSX a couple of times, mostly incorrectly, and it didn't make much difference.

Cheers,
Torrence

I'll push the bloody THR button when I want to and see what happens (final words on flight voice recorder - probably not)
T

Cheers
Torrence

emerydc8

I read an interesting article on this for the 777. http://www.flight.org/boeing-777-cruise-centre-of-gravity-cog

At least on the 777, it seems that it's not that important if you are not pushing up against your max cruise altitude. It sounds like some airlines just use a standard default value.

As for the THR switch, you use it if VNAV is inop for takeoff. When you want to accelerate at 1000' (NADP 2) you press FLCH. Then at your thrust reduction point (Flaps 5), you press THR and it will transition from TO thrust to CLB thrust. Or if it senses an engine failure, it will set CON in this situation. If you don't do this, and you keep climbing out, you will exceed the five-minute limit on the engines and then the wings will fall off for sure (along with all four engines).

Also, if you decide to operate without the A/P or F/D (I can't imagine why), you can still use the A/T, but you have to tell the system whether you want it to control the MCP-selected speed or reference thrust. On the DC-10 if you chose thurst and captured an altitude on the climbout, you had to go to speed mode immediately or you would exceed the barber pole. ALT CAP=SPEED MODE. There was no automatic switching. And we thought the DC-10 was cutting edge.

Maybe Peter can chime in here too.

Jon

Britjet

As far as cruise CG goes - the CG varies quite a bit as Centre Wing fuel is used, and if you wanted to be really pedantic you could work this out with the table in the QRH as you went along, and update periodically, but realistically you would probably not bother with it unless you were desperate to squeeze another few hundred feet to your ceiling, which is not a good idea at high weights anyway.
A better technique is to wait until CWT fuel is used up and then enter the C of G at that point. It doesn't change much with wing tank usage and would give you slightly more accurate climb recommendation and ceiling predictions.
I'm sure a lot of operators don't bother, though.
Peter.

sidewinder

Hi,
First time user to this forum (any forum actually!) and I have to say.... Brilliant! Thanks for all the hard work with the training videos.
Any chance of a video for single FMC failure closely followed by a double FMC failure?

All the best for 2017
Regards
Abs

Britjet

Welcome to the forum Abs,
It's a good suggestion and I will bear it in mind. Video production has been a little slow of late, but I will try and find time..
Peter

emerydc8

Quote from: Britjet on Sat, 31 Dec 2016 14:55
Welcome to the forum Abs,
It's a good suggestion and I will bear it in mind. Video production has been a little slow of late, but I will try and find time..
Peter

Still hoping to see that single FMC failure video you did in the sim, Peter (if you still have it). I think Hardy was going to make some changes to PSX, perhaps based on the video?

Jon

Britjet

Thanks for the reminder Jon. I looked earlier but will try again.
Peter

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: emerydc8 on Sat, 31 Dec 2016 19:43
I think Hardy was going to make some changes to PSX, perhaps based on the video?

I already made these changes two updates ago, based on that video. Further changes are not necessary.

|-|

P.S.:

Hi all,

to get a better overview, wouldn't it be better to start a new thread in the "Hangar 7" subforum for each new general subject, instead of squeezing everything into this single thread? (Unless a question is about a training video per se, of course.)