News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

RealTraffic 1.0 beta and updated Foreflight 2.0 beta

Started by Balt, Sun, 18 Jan 2015 15:39

Balt

Hi all,

Well I've been playing around with some ideas and before you know it, we have real traffic injection for PSX and Foreflight (also works if you do not own Foreflight).

More information, screenshots, and downloads for RealTraffic and the updated Foreflight connector here: http://www.inside.net/ss/

Cheers

- Balt

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Balt,

unfortunately, I'm getting this when I launch RealTraffic:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: RealTraffic : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:800)
   at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:449)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:71)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:361)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
   at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
   at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:482)

My system:

Java Runtime Environment version:   1.7.0_45
Java Runtime Environment vendor:   Oracle Corporation
JVM specification version:   1.7
JVM specification vendor:   Oracle Corporation
JVM specification name:   Java Virtual Machine Specification
JVM version:   24.45-b08
JVM vendor:   Oracle Corporation
JRE specification version:   1.7
JRE specification vendor:   Oracle Corporation
JRE specification name:   Java Platform API Specification
Java class format version number:   51.0
JIT compiler to use:   null

OS X 10.9.5

Maybe it's the red stuff.

I don't have Foreflight.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Balt

Hi Hardy,

I've recompiled both jars using the 1.7 JDK... turns out that Java 1.8 is not backwards compatible. I wonder why not.

But that's besides the point...:

Please re-download and try again! I'm fairly confident it works now regardless of which JDK/JRE framework version you have, as long as it's 1.7+

Cheers

- Balt

Kockie69

I had the same problem as Hardy but now it launches ok and it seems to connect. Unfortunaly I don't get and see any traffic. Do i need to configure anything else?

Robert

Balt

Traffic only loads when the PSX connection is active. Are you getting a red NO TRAFFIC in the bottom view panel?

You also may want to relocate PSX to an airport environment where currently airplanes are flying. :)

Cheers

Balt

Kockie69

LoL, yes there are plains flying at the moment (EHAM, EDDL).

I have no Foreflight maybe that is the problem?

In what view should I see NO TRAFFIC?

It says total traffic in area is 0 which I don't believe.

Robert

Pierre Theillere

Hi Balt,

Wow, your RealTraffic software seems amazing! I'll give it a try later today (once back from work) around LFPG... sure I may find some planes around there...
Pierre, LFPG

Balt

Hi,

so I just had a quick flight around EHAM. Works for me, there are over 70 traffics loaded in the area. Do you have internet connectivity? This requires HTTP internet access every 10 seconds to obtain traffic for the area you are in. Also, "Server connection" needs to be ticked. Perhaps start it from a command line with "java -jar path_to_the_jar/RealTraffic.jar" and watch for any error/diagnostic output in the terminal. Tell me what you see there.

I took a screenshot as evidence it works here... You can see United 59 at 10 o clock, climbing through FL37 (3700ft, low, they just took off), they show up in the TCAS display as a filled white diamond, again 10 o clock position shown as 200ft below our altitude. At the 7 o clock position, you can see British Airways 429, also just took off climbing through 500ft (shown as 3200ft below us in the TCAS display).

Does it work for anyone?

Cheers

- Balt

andrej

Hello Balt,

thank you very much for this interesting add-on. I just tested this at work (guilty as charged) and it works flawlessly ( :) ).

I tested approaches at EGLL, EDDF, VHHH (not much time spend with it). Traffic uploaded well and it was manageable. Now I just wish that controller could see 'me' and accommodate my flight as well!  :mrgreen:

It gives new appreciation to meaning busy airports!

Cheers,
Andrej

Kockie69

Hi Balt,

I believe it is working on your client and it looks great. But that is not the problem, i want it to run on my client :-)

I get:
Lisensed to: Testname
License: License
PSX Hostname: localhost
PSX port: 10747
Foreflight broadcast: false
PSX netConn: true
Connection OK. Our client ID: id=13

I am running java version 1.7.0_21 64bit and I have dutch version of Windows 7.

I restarted and now I saw in the middle of the circle (very shortly) in Red NO Traffic. But no additional debug info.

Oh, and I have network connection, beacuse I am typing this message from the same client.

Robert

Balt

Hi Robert, I'll email you a jar file that will provide some more debug info. Please email me your address.

Thanks for the feedback Andrej, good to hear it works for you.

Cheers

Balt

Kockie69

don't know your email but mine is robert.kock at gmail.com

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Balt,

it works now. Impressive!

Congrats! :-)

I tested a few situs, YSSY, KORD, EGLL ... I got lots of traffic at KORD and EGLL. However, it disappeared after about 10 seconds and never came back.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

andrej

Hello Balt,

so I tried tonight at home and received following message:

"The Java JAR file "RealTraffic.jar" could not be launched. Check the Console for possible error messages."

I checked the Console and I am lost. Nonetheless, I am certain problem is on my side. I use following:

MacBook 6,1 OS X v. 10.6.8

Processor: 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Could it be, that RealTraffic needs more power?

At work I use fairly new PC, so no problems there.

Cheers,
Andrej

pcpilot

Hi Balt,

I have just down a short flight from EGLL to EDDF using RealTraffic and I am really impressed with what you have produced.

I carried out a Brookhams Park departure from 27R EGLL and it was terrific to follow in real time the aircraft in front following the same departure as me. Also to see the incoming traffic  landing at EGLL was great. It took me back to the ITVV DVD of the Virgin 747-400 departing from the same runway and the checking of the ND for incoming aircraft.

When I reached KOK on the Belgium coast and at cruising altitude I had company following the same track for a period of time with no disappearance. Your software worked flawless and as I checked Flightradar24 aircraft came in and out of the ND as and when expected.

Many thanks for spending the time and effort in producing RealTraffic, it is much appreciated.

I am wondering what will happen to the software at the end of the Beta test ?

Many Thanks,

Pcpilot

Balt

Hi all,

thanks for the feedback.

@pcpilot: At the end of the beta test, it will go into release versions. Those will no longer be time limited. :-)

@andrej: You almost certainly have an older version of Java installed on that mac, sounds like the OS is rather outdated as well (10.6). Not to worry, you should be able to download the latest Java runtime environment from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

@Hardy: So you're seeing the initial traffic loading, but then it stops updating? That's odd.

@all: I've uploaded beta 1.0.3, it provides more debugging info you can send me. My email is balt at inside.net, I'd prefer to receive email rather than clogging up the forum with debugging messages.

To send me the debug output, do the following please:

Run PSX with server mode on, make sure it's not paused.

On Windows, start a command line: Start Menu -> Run type "cmd" and hit enter. Then first run (without the quotes) "java -version" and copy that output by selecting it with the mouse, go to the top left corner of the command window and click down the system menu, then select Edit->Copy. Paste that into an email to me (but don't send that yet).

Then run the RealTraffic jar as follows: type "java -jar \\RealTraffic.jar"

Let it run for about 30 seconds (at least) and then copy/paste the output in the command window into the email, and send! If it doesn't run (such as in Andrej's case) you will find the reason why it's not running there.

On OSX you do the same as above, except instead of the windows command line, you open a terminal window: Applications->Utilities->Terminal, use a forward slash "/" instead of the backslash for the path delimiter, and you can select the text in the terminal with the mouse directly and hit command-c to copy it...

Cheers

- Balt

kiek

Sounds very interesting. Question for clarification:
I guess the traffic is visible at the TCAS but not outside, is it?

Nico

Balt

It's outside as well, in PSX. Not sure what external scenery tools will make of it.

Cheers

Balt

Hardy Heinlin

As usual, the PSX server sends it to all clients except that client which injects it.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

GodAtum

wow there are some amazinh add-ons coming out. where does it get its traffic data from? anyone else seening the traffic generated in Xplane?