News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PW and RR engine type difference questions

Started by brian747, Sat, 13 Sep 2014 15:15

brian747

I'm currently trying to do a comparison between different engine types, for flight planning purposes. All I really need to know is a Yes/No answer to the question "Is there any significant performance difference between these engine designations, as far as flight planning for simming is concerned?".

It may merely be a matter of slightly different nomenclature — or maybe not. But I have just emerged from spending a long time trying to find the answer online, and all I've ended up with is a headache.   :(    So if anyone can assist, I would be most grateful.

Set A (PW):

Between the PW4056 and the PW4056-P3?

Set B (RR):

Between the RB211-524G2 and the RB211-524GH2 and the RB211-524H?

Many thanks in advance for your answers!     :)

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

DougSnow

The P3 motors have a cutback leading edge of the fan blade to prevent fan blade erosion (if I remember correctly from the B767-300). At a former airline, I had to create new performance data once for our flight planning system for the P3 motors when we incorporated a Boeing service bulletin, and the difference in performance in the real world was negligible.

Even with PSX, I dont know how close to the Performance Engineer's manual HH has gotten with the flight model, so for me the differences are a nonissue, and are irrelevant.

You'd never notice a difference.

Will

Hi Doug,

I have an off-topic question for you, if you don't mind. I sent you a contact request on Skype. (Let me know if there's a better way to contact you.) Thanks.
Will /Chicago /USA

DougSnow

Email is better.  I'm heading KMEM -> RJAA tonite so I am just about to go for a long powernap before my 0700Z show time.

I dont skype anymore,

Will

How can I find your email?

[Edit: Thanks! Done, email sent.]
Will /Chicago /USA

brian747

> "You'd never notice a difference."

:D   Thank you. Doug — that's just what I was hoping you'd say.

I think, though, that your answer refers to the PW engines? Or does it apply to the RR trio as well?

Many thanks,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).