News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX + X-Plane for scenery

Started by mikeindevon, Tue, 8 Jul 2014 18:57

Mark

Quote from: mikeindevon on Wed,  7 Dec 2016 17:12
Thanks for that Peter - so we know who the culprit is  :).  I am on the case, but I have upgraded the c++ compiler to MS Visual Studio 2015 from 2013 and none of it works at the moment !  I will try and get it done in the next few days - the impossible we do at once, miracles take a little longer.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Obviously a different scenario (I'm coding against simconnect, not X-Plane) but I've found that I had to install VS2013 then VS2015, then target specific C++ projects within VS2015 to use the VS2013 C++ compiler.

mikeindevon

Thanks Mark.  I have fixed the problem so it now runs with VS 2015.  I can now investigate why these landing lights are not working.

mikeindevon

I have now found the problem.  PSX sets a value for landing lights between 0 and 9, the larger the number the brighter the light.  When this value changes, XView generates a stream of intermediate values for XP over 1 second so the light appears to fade (or brighten) gradually, rather than flash full on or off.

XP provides a "dataref" called "sim/cockpit2/switches/landing_light_switch which accepts values between 0.0 and 1.0.  XView reduces the PSX number by a factor of 10 and plugs this number into the dataref.  Actually it is slightly more complicated because of the gradual transition from on to off as explained above.

This all worked fine up until 10.5. Since then the XP dataref changes any number you enter less than 1.0 into 0.  Hence the lights flash and then go out.  I have raised a bug report with LR. 

I can produce a work around such that any light value from PSX grater than 0 sends a value of 1 to XP.  This is a simple mod that I will publish in the next few days.

For those who are interested, there is a tool for XP called data ref editor, or DRE.  You can load this as a plugin just like XView and set the value for this dataref yourself.  This would save going into the XP cockpit view.

mikeindevon

I now have a version that works properly with the landing lights.  Is anybody prepared to host the file (162KB) until I set up my old website?  I will need an email address to send it to.

Mike

asboyd

Hi Mike,
I have a dropbox account that hosts your old version for windows... I can put it up for you.

email aboyd(at)boydsnest(dot)dyndns(dot)org

Cheers,
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

mikeindevon

Super.  Thanks.  I have emailed it.

It turns out that you can put values greater than 1 into the dataref, contrary to what the documentation says.  I have set the maximum to 5.  It will go higher and brighter, so let me know whether you think the brightness is about right as I can easily increase it or tone it down a bit.

Mike

asboyd

Hi All,
Mike's new xpl file can be downloaded via: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32544587/win.xpl

I am sure Mike can advise how to use it. :)
Best wishes,

Alex B

18hazelwood

Hello all,

Could someone please send me the link for the XView files, the xview@larkshayes.com from the original post does not seem to work for me!!

Many thanks...

asboyd

Check out this thread. You will find a dropbox link I posted earlier....

Cheers,
Alex B

JohnH

Quote from: mikeindevon on Mon, 12 Dec 2016 02:49
I now have a version that works properly with the landing lights.  Is anybody prepared to host the file (162KB) until I set up my old website?  I will need an email address to send it to.

Mike

I was using XView with the previous version of win.xpl and had no problems other than the landing light issue. I downloaded the newest win.xpl and after starting PSX and Xplane 11(beta) I don't get a connection between the 2 programs. When I click on Plugins on the Xplane header it doesn't show Xview as a plugin. When I check PSX network, boost it says listening for a client. I went back to the previous win.xpl and everything works fine.

John

mikeindevon

Hi John,

I will check it out.

Mike

mikeindevon

If you would like to email me, then I will send you the file again.  Perhaps I uploaded the wrong one.

mikeindevon

Ignore the last msg.  I have checked the file on Alex's dropbox: it is identical to the one I have here.
It works for me in 10.51 and I haven't seen any problems.  In 11 there have been some strange behaviours, for example starting with the correct scenery view, but then fading to black.  Try it in 11 with a different plane to see if that helps.

Don't forget that the file has to go in (Your XP11 dir)/Resources/Plugins/XView/64

JohnH

Quote from: mikeindevon on Tue, 13 Dec 2016 15:08
Ignore the last msg.  I have checked the file on Alex's dropbox: it is identical to the one I have here.
It works for me in 10.51 and I haven't seen any problems.  In 11 there have been some strange behaviours, for example starting with the correct scenery view, but then fading to black.  Try it in 11 with a different plane to see if that helps.

Don't forget that the file has to go in (Your XP11 dir)/Resources/Plugins/XView/64

I did send you an email so you can disregard it, I can confirm I do have the file in the correct location, I will try another aircraft and see what happens.

Thanks, John

mikeindevon

This new version of XView was compiled on MS Visual Studio 2015.  You need to have the corresponding redistributable package installed for it to work.  Get it here:

https://www(dot)microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53840

vito

Everything works just fine here (Windows 10, XPlane 11) ! Thanks Mike !

best regards
vito

Peter Lang

Hi Mike,

probably I have the same issue as John. With the new win.xpl the landing lights work as expected, but there is no position update any more. Switching back to the old win.xpl everything works fine again, except the landing lights.

xview window shows connection
vc_redist.x64.exe installed (german language)
Win 7 64 (german version)
X-Plane 10.51

Peter

JohnH

Hi Peter,

As suggested by Mike after I installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 PSX now links to Xplane.
However, while the landing lights now work I am not seeing the strobes or beacon?

John

Peter Lang

Hi John,

all lights work here. Strobes, beacons, wing lights, logo lights and off course the landing lights. But no movement.

The windows control panel shows MS Visual C++ 2015 installed
xview shows boost server also connected....

Peter

JohnH

I found that checking 'Extrapolation active' caused my Xplane to stop moving when connected to PSX, can you try unchecking it?

John