News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX + X-Plane for scenery

Started by mikeindevon, Tue, 8 Jul 2014 18:57

Tércio Sampaio

Hi Mike,

to avoid that, use the zip of the aircraft related to the x-plane folder root.

When you unzip it to x-plane root it creates:

aircraft/PSX Plane/

and the a separated zip with only plugin that goes to that airplane but related also to x-plane  root:

aricraft\\PSX Plane\\plugins\\XView\\

then you will have 2 separated zips that we only need to unzip them to the root of x-plane and after that we will have the aircraft and the plugin in the correct place. when need for a update of only the plugin only download the plugin zip and unzip to root and replace the files.

best regards

GodAtum

i am having issues with Xplane views. Everytime I click on layout 1, 2 or 3 the view in Xplane changes. I have disabled the numpad views.

Also clouds keep popping in and out. Not sure if there is a clash between xplane and PSX weather?

And can I download new liveries for the special 747 model?

mikeindevon

XPlane Views - Read section 7 of the XView User Guide.  Side views are a feature, but you can turn them off if you want to.

Clouds - Can you be more specific.  Nobody else has raised this as a problem.

Liveries - PSX Plane is a substantial modification of the X-Plane stock 747-400 United, although the shape of the plane has not changed.  Texture files have been enhanced using Photoshop to provide better lighting effects.  You would loose this if you changed the livery.  

If you have another livery file you could edit the texture files in Photoshop to replace the livery image - but there is a steep learning curve for this stuff.  If you can put it on a server that I can access, I will have a look and see whether or not it is feasible.

Pierre Theillere

Hi GodAtum!

For liveries, all the ones designed for X-Plane 10's default 747 are fully fine for XView's "PSX Plane". I have 10-15 ones in the "liveries" folder of "PSX Plane" (mostly found on x-plane.org website) and all's OK.
But I admit I very rarely watch the airplane from outside...
For disabling the remote X-Plane wiews switching from PSx layout change, I confirm it works, just (un)check it from XView plugin options. Just restart X-Plane in cars your choice doesn't seem to follow...
Clouds popping in? PSx is the master for weather, so disable X-Plane "real weather" (from quickflight setup). Clouds may be popping out and back in when PSx reloads METARs if you're using real weather within PSx.
Pierre, LFPG

GodAtum

Quote from: Pierre TheillereHi GodAtum!

For liveries, all the ones designed for X-Plane 10's default 747 are fully fine for XView's "PSX Plane". I have 10-15 ones in the "liveries" folder of "PSX Plane" (mostly found on x-plane.org website) and all's OK.
But I admit I very rarely watch the airplane from outside...
For disabling the remote X-Plane wiews switching from PSx layout change, I confirm it works, just (un)check it from XView plugin options. Just restart X-Plane in cars your choice doesn't seem to follow...
Clouds popping in? PSx is the master for weather, so disable X-Plane "real weather" (from quickflight setup). Clouds may be popping out and back in when PSx reloads METARs if you're using real weather within PSx.

Thanks for the info. How do i disable Xplane weather entirely?

I just need the correct liveries for online flying  :)

mikeindevon

Hi Pierre,

Using another livery you will loose some of the modifications I made to the texture files.

Mike

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I believe that your own local "real" livery is not necessarily the one that other people online see, right? What syncs up the livery? Just a name somewhere in SquawkBox?

Hoppie

Pierre Theillere

GodAtum,

I never said to disable X-Plane weather, I wrote about disabling X-Plane real-world weather.
As already said, the easiest way to change that, is from "QuickFlight setup" (click with your finger on the left mouse button, putting the mouse arrow on the checkbox to uncheck the "use real weather"), but obviously you can change it from... the weather menu. (same method for clicking)
Pierre, LFPG

GodAtum

I will wait for people to make compatible livery  :)

cant wait to get a 2nd PC, running Xplane in windowed mode halves my FPS!

mikeindevon

Hi Tercio,

I have tried out your suggestion for the placement of the XView folder in the PSX Plane plugin folder and of course it works as you say it should.

One slight snag is that if you then change from the PSX plane to another, the XView plugin is still in the plugin menu.  If you attempt to open its settings window, you crash X-Plane - obviously because it is trying to call a .dll that doesn't exist.

Sure it is a silly thing to do, but I don't want to give the opportunity for users to crash X-Plane.  It's a shame because I liked the idea.

Mike

Kurt

Works absolutely perfect, - Thank you..
Best regards
Kurt

Tércio Sampaio

Hi Mike,

It's true, but its a X-Plane fault, not yours or xview plugin. Also it avoids the influence of xview while using x-plane alone with other aircrafts. The important thing is to remember: Only use the psx aircraft in x-plane + psx sessions, and after that quit from x-plane if you want to use it alone with other add-ons.

With best regards

Tércio

JRBarrett

Just spent a delightful evening savoring PSX like a fine glass of wine, carefully getting all my initial settings, USB controllers and default preferences "just so". I'm delighted to report that on my system, my preliminary test of XView worked perfectly with XP10.30B8.

I have a Sandy Bridge 2600K running at 4.0 GHz, 16 GB of system RAM with a GTX770 4GB GPU driving two 28 inch monitors. The PSX-XP interconnection worked great, running PSX on one monitor, and XP on the other.

I haven't actually flown the combo yet, but did load PSX at KDTW on the threshold of runway 22L, started the engines and taxied to my desired starting gate, then parked and set up a custom cold and dark situation. The PSXPlane 747 model tracked with PSX perfectly, all lights and animations worked as advertised, and PSX-XP weather injection worked fine. I am using Tercio's suggestion of putting XView into the plugin folder of THe PSXPlane aircraft itself, and it worked well.

Thanks Mike for creating this fine program, looking forward to giving the combo a full flight test tomorrow, and will be testing XSquawkbox at the same time.

Jim Barrett

GodAtum

Quote from: JRBarrettI have a Sandy Bridge 2600K running at 4.0 GHz, 16 GB of system RAM with a GTX770 4GB GPU driving two 28 inch monitors. The PSX-XP interconnection worked great, running PSX on one monitor, and XP on the other.

Do you run Xplane in a window mode? Unfortunately the FPS halves if I move the mouse over to PSX so I have to run PSX on another PC.

mikeindevon

Quote from: Tércio Sampaio... and after that quit from x-plane if you want to use it alone with other add-ons.

... but load another aircraft before you quit (otherwise X-Plane will pick up XView again next time it loads).

mikeindevon

Quote from: GodAtumDo you run Xplane in a window mode? Unfortunately the FPS halves if I move the mouse over to PSX so I have to run PSX on another PC.

This shouldn't happen.  I manage to run X-Plane in the top half of my screen and PSX in the bottom.  The windows can overlap.  There is no difference in frame rate wherever the mouse pointer is.

From what I remember of a previous post of yours, you have plenty of cores available.  Start the windows task manager and have a look at the performance tab.  You should see the cpu utilisation by core there.  Perhaps that will give us a clue.

Mike

GodAtum

Quote from: mikeindevon
Quote from: GodAtumDo you run Xplane in a window mode? Unfortunately the FPS halves if I move the mouse over to PSX so I have to run PSX on another PC.

This shouldn't happen.  I manage to run X-Plane in the top half of my screen and PSX in the bottom.  The windows can overlap.  There is no difference in frame rate wherever the mouse pointer is.

From what I remember of a previous post of yours, you have plenty of cores available.  Start the windows task manager and have a look at the performance tab.  You should see the cpu utilisation by core there.  Perhaps that will give us a clue.

Mike

Thanks for your info. I will continue with support on the Xplane forums.

JRBarrett

Quote from: mikeindevon
Quote from: Tércio Sampaio... and after that quit from x-plane if you want to use it alone with other add-ons.

... but load another aircraft before you quit (otherwise X-Plane will pick up XView again next time it loads).

I have XP configured to always show during start-up the menu where one can choose the aircraft, starting airport, time of day and weather. Even though that menu will show that the last-loaded aircraft was PSXPlane, if I choose a different ACF from this menu (typically the default 172) it loads fine.

JRBarrett

Quote from: GodAtum
Quote from: JRBarrettI have a Sandy Bridge 2600K running at 4.0 GHz, 16 GB of system RAM with a GTX770 4GB GPU driving two 28 inch monitors. The PSX-XP interconnection worked great, running PSX on one monitor, and XP on the other.

Do you run Xplane in a window mode? Unfortunately the FPS halves if I move the mouse over to PSX so I have to run PSX on another PC.

I do run XP in windowed mode (with a maximized frame to fill the monitor). I do that in order to be able to run the XP graphics on my 2nd monitor - if I select full screen, it insists on being on monitor number one. However I have absolutely no frame rate loss between maximized window vs. full-screen modes, nor does the frame rate drop if I move the focus to the PSX window on monitor number one.

I should mention that my OS is Windows 7-64.

JRBarrett

Found a little glitch tonight on my first flight using XView in conjunction with XSquawkbox.

Everything worked fine insofar as being able to connect to VATSIM. It was a relatively short flight from KDTW to KATL. I was using Vat-Spy to monitor my progress.

Once airborne, I checked my reported position. Altitude was correct, as was my current heading and position enroute, but groundspeed showed zero. This apparently is not an XSquawkbox-specific problem, because I also link X-Plane to the Foreflight app on my iPad, to use it as a moving map. Same thing was noted in Foreflight. The current altitude, heading and position was being continuously transmitted in real time, but groundspeed showed zero throughout the entire flight.

I realize that this may be an expected result, due to the way in which XView controls the aircraft model, but then again, perhaps not. I am running X-Plane 10.30B8 - I imagine you developed the XView plugin using 10.25, and perhaps a dataref has changed in 10.30...