News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX + X-Plane for scenery

Started by mikeindevon, Tue, 8 Jul 2014 18:57

Stephane LI

Hi JRBarrett,

I have the same issue when using X-Ivap on Ivao, with Xview and X-Plane X.
The groundspeed shows zero on webeye.

Stephane

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Before people ask, in VATSIM/IVAO, the ground speed is not calculated by the ground system using distance between radar plots and time, but it is indeed transmitted by the client to overcome network hiccups.

Apparently the client fishes for ground speed in X-Plane, which does not have it, possibly because it has been reduced to a flying camera. However theoretically if it has KIAS, it should also be able to get GND.

Just 0.01.

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

JRBarrett

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersBefore people ask, in VATSIM/IVAO, the ground speed is not calculated by the ground system using distance between radar plots and time, but it is indeed transmitted by the client to overcome network hiccups.

Apparently the client fishes for ground speed in X-Plane, which does not have it, possibly because it has been reduced to a flying camera. However theoretically if it has KIAS, it should also be able to get GND.

Just 0.01.

Hoppie

That appears to be the case. I enabled the X-Plane on-screen display of internal data during the flight, and looked at the airspeed and Mach variables, and they both read zero. Since the heading, lat/lon position and altitude of the physical X-Plane 747 model are being directly controlled by PSX via XView, those do get passed along to XSquawkbox. I would think though, that X-Plane's awareness of IAS, TAS, and GS would ordinarily come from the internal data of its own loaded model, and those would not be present in what is essentially an unpowered "flying camera" as you said.

If this is indeed the case, perhaps there is a way for XView to extract and pass along PSX's own air data in the same way that it reads control surface and gear position and external lighting from PSX?

Martin Baker

I'm having trouble getting XView to work. In Windows 7 I start PSX and start the boost server. On the same machine I then run Xplane and choose the PSX Plane aircraft (having renamed XView64.xpl and put in a plugins/Xview/64 directory) but the 747 just sits on the default Xplane runway and there is no connection to PSX.

If I look in the Xplane plugins menu I don't see the option to configure XView but if I choose Plugin Admin then Enable/Disable it shows 747Rollon as enabled. Under plugin info it gives a path to the win.xpl fie and says it's enabled.

Am I missing something obvious? Thanks.

mikeindevon

Martin,

If you don't see XView in the list of plugins, then the win.xpl cannot be installed properly. Check your setup against the details in the documentation. Let me know if you still have problems.

Mike

Martin Baker

Quote from: mikeindevonMartin,

If you don't see XView in the list of plugins, then the win.xpl cannot be installed properly. Check your setup against the details in the documentation. Let me know if you still have problems.

Mike

Thanks Mike. It's listed as a plugin but doesn't have its own sub-heading in the plugins menu. Just to be clear I downloaded Xview.xpl (right-click/save as) then created 2 new folders in resources/plugins, namely /xview/64 and dropped the file in there, then renamed it to win.xpl

It's listed as an 'xpl' file and is 139kb in size. Does that all sound correct?

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: martinbakerIn Windows 7 I start PSX and start the boost server.
Do you also start the main server? All add-ons use the main network.

The boost server is required additionally.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Martin Baker

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin
Quote from: martinbakerIn Windows 7 I start PSX and start the boost server.
Do you also start the main server? All add-ons use the main network.

The boost server is required additionally.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Yes, they are both running, though I hadn't realised main server was a necessity so thanks for clarifying that. (And I've got a windows PSX coupled to a mac PSX as well as a mac to mac, so the internal PSX seems to be properly configured, which is great - the issue here must be on the xplane/xview side.)

Thanks,

Martin

Martin Baker

Further to this I've tried opening the 32-bit version of Xplane. Without the XView32 installed it starts up fine, but with Xview32 (renamed as win.xpl) in the correct directory the programme crashes on start-up and leaves 2 files in the main Xplane directory: XViewDebug.txt and XViewLog.txt. Neither of these files is created if I open Xplane in 64 bit.

Does this give any clue as to what might be the problem?

M

Martin Baker

And here's a link to my XView plug-in folder in case anyone is able to see if there's a problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gxdgi3433gv7d7t/AABM3lL0u3Rw0ruqj6kVzfuTa?dl=0

mikeindevon

Martin,

As you say it is definately a problem with your X-Plane set-up rather than PSX.  You don't usually need to worry about the servers - XView picks them up automatically.

When you say "it is listed as a plugin", where exactly do you see this list?  If you go to the plugins menu and select "plugin admin, plugin information", do you see it in that list? You should also see it if you just click the Plugins menu option.  It should be listed underneath Plugin Admin.  Mine appears as:

XView 1.0 (Enabled)
D:\\X-Plane\\Resources\\plugins\\XView\\64\\win.xpl
etc

It's got to be something dead simple.  If you have checked the directory, and the spelling of the directory (no spaces have crept in, upper/lower case issues), you are running windows and the 64 bit version of X-Plane, you renamed XView64.xpl to win.xpl (not XView32.xpl), and you have enough memory, then I am stumped. The file size at 139Kb is correct.  I can only suggest downloading it again as perhaps the download was corrupted somehow.  

I will download a copy now and check it hasn't got corrupted on the server somehow.  I haven't altered it since I uploaded 1.01 some weeks ago.

Mike

mikeindevon

Hi Martin,

Our posts crossed.

I have downloaded your copy of win.xpl and done a HEX comparison.  There are loads of differences with my copy, so I suggest downloading the original again.

Let me know.

Mike

GodAtum

My testing is going well. Did the longest commercial flight from YSSY - KDFW, 15 hours straight, no lag and FPS in Xplane was stable  :D

mikeindevon

Martin,

I may be mis-leading you.  Perhaps my copy has been recompiled since the official release.  I can confirm that the version currently on the server is fine as  I have just downloaded it and installed it.

Mike

mikeindevon

Quote from: GodAtumMy testing is going well. Did the longest commercial flight from YSSY - KDFW, 15 hours straight, no lag and FPS in Xplane was stable  :D
Great.  The latest X-Plane beta has Botany Bay back - a huge improvement.  I am sure you have that already.

Mike

mikeindevon

Martin,  I have checked your version against the server version and it is identical.  No need to download again.  Mike

mikeindevon

Quote from: JRBarrettThe current altitude, heading and position was being continuously transmitted in real time, but groundspeed showed zero throughout the entire flight.

I do not pass the groundspeed to XP as it is not necessary to produce the view.  However, now that this requirement has been pointed out, I will make the update in the next release.  It is simple to do, provided that XP does not block it in some way.

Are there other data items that you need?  Does the lack of groundspeed make VATSIM flights impossible?

Mike

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Not impossible.

Since the VATSIM system does not calculate ground speed by comparing radar return distances in time, but instead uses the reported ground speed from the client to have a more reliable readout under network stress, most radar controllers will get erroneous results on their display. They typically do complain as they would do on missing Mode-C transponder data.

Hoppie

John Golin

Controllers do like to see the groundspeed for sequencing :) Especially in WorldFlight. ;)
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au