News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

What happened to the old forum

Started by Jeroen D, Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:41

Jeroen D

I guess I should know, and I'm sure we were told, but what happened to the old forum?

I'm looking for some of my old posts? Is it still accessible or not?

Jeroen

Shiv Mathur

Hi Jeroen,

Hardy had put up the old forum archives (Oct 2001 - Nov 2004), and I have them on my computer.
I'll put it somewhere where you can download it from (unless HH objects) and let you know in a little while when it's done.

cheers,
Shiv

Jeroen D

Hi Shiv,
thanks, much appreciated. I'm just pondering the time lines.

When did we start on this "new forum"? October 2001 - November 2004 seems a short period, and at the same time quite a while ago. Are we on the new forum since 2004? time flies when you're having fun!

Thanks again.

Jeroen

Shiv Mathur

Jeroen,
This is one of the first messages in the archives, which might explain a bit:
SUBJECT>AN EXPLANATION
POSTER>Webmaster Dave
EMAIL>support@arundel.net
DATE>1004545709

OK, the site has been down over 2 days.. here's what happened..

For some reason that had nothing to do with anything anyone associated with Aerowinx did.. All the files on our section of the server that became corrupted, it literally looked like a cyber tornado had swept through the server.. That was problem 1, was it a virus? I don't think so and if it was they are not telling.. Was it a hack? No..

Problem 2 was that there was no backup of our server.. again, no fault of Aerowinx as the data was supposed to have been backed up on a daily basis.. we were told that that whatever caused the corruption also caused the backups to be destroyed.. I'll keep my answer to that one to myself..

The bottom line is EVERYTHING on the Aerowinx domain was lost. Gone. All messages all files, everthing. I am restoring the forums and Hardy is working on getting the rest of the site running.

Give it a bit of time but we hope to have things working again normally as soon as is possible.

Dave

shiv

Jeroen D

O yes, Now I do remember!
Thanks
Jeroen

Shiv Mathur

The archives are up at:

http://shivmathur.bandwagon.in/aerowinx%20archives/oct2001tillnov2004/

Please let me know if something doesn't work.

Btw, none of the messages has a file extension, but they open with notepad, at least.

Jeroen D

Thanks,
I get the message:

HTTP Error 404.17 - Not Found
The requested content appears to be script and will not be served by the static file handler.

Anyway of searching through all of these on my own posts?

Thanks
Jeroen

fredje

Hi Shiv,

I'm also interested in some old forum messages but, it is not possible to open the files due to error code 404.17.

Freddy.

Shiv Mathur

Sorry ... working on it, please hang on.

Jeroen D

thanks Shiv,
Much appreciated

Regards,

Jeroen

Shiv Mathur

Okay, it seems to be working now ... please let me know if there are any problems.
I think the problem was that the files had no extension ... I used a bulk renamer to make them all '.txt'.

Quote from: Jeroen DAnyway of searching through all of these on my own posts?

Thanks
Jeroen

The only thing I can think of is to download them all and then use the 'search in file contents'  (at least with Windows).

Cheers
shiv

Richard McDonald Woods

Jeroen,
I still have the PIPS manual (boiled down interesting forum posts), based on the old forum. Happy to send a copy.
Cheers, Richard
Cheers, Richard

Jeroen D

Hi Richard,
Thanks, I remember it well. Great piece of work!

I seem to recall I made some contributions to it.
I'm pretty sure I have a printed copy somewhere. Also, believe it or not, its still downloadable from the original Aerowinx site under Tutorials. That is, it shows as being there, I havent actually tried downloading it.

Will you be writing an updated version once PSX is released?

I'm actually trying to find the write ups I did on the various full motion simulator experiences Ton van Bochove and I had at Cargolux and Lufthansa, courtesy of Proflight and Jorg.

Also, I wrote something on the first PS meeting in Nootdorp the Netherlands.

There's some stuff in these posting that I would like to share on some other forums I'm active on.

The long pieces for the forum I always composed 'of line' in Word or a text editor before posting. Thought I had back ups, turns out I don't :(  Hence my questions. Problem is also that what with us moving around the globe I never seem to be in the same place as some of the stuff I need. It's in transit, in storage, in a house on a different continent or presumed lost. Pretty frustrating sometimes

Still the old forum does contain a wealth of information and it does have certain sentimental value I guess for those of us in the early PS days. I know I enjoyed it a lot.

With PSX still under development I have less to add these days. But rarely a day goes by, I dont check the current forum.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Jeroen D

Quote from: Shiv MathurOkay, it seems to be working now ... please let me know if there are any problems.
I think the problem was that the files had no extension ... I used a bulk renamer to make them all '.txt'.

Quote from: Jeroen DAnyway of searching through all of these on my own posts?

Thanks
Jeroen

The only thing I can think of is to download them all and then use the 'search in file contents'  (at least with Windows).

Cheers
shiv

Thanks Shiv,
It is working now, I guess I'll see how to download the lot and then do a search.
Thanks for all your help, much appreciated

Jeroen

Richard McDonald Woods

I don't think that I will be creating a PIPS equivalent from PSX. It turned out to be a much bigger task than I had expected. As I get older (now 67), I feel that my ability to concentrate on such a task wanes.
Cheers, Richard

Shiv Mathur

Jeroen,

I did a quick search with the keywords 'dorrestein' and 'bochove'.  You might want to start off with a look at messages 5056, 5157 and 5940 in the '00to19/bbs5' folder.

I use a program called Internet Download Manager, which allows you to 'save all links'.  I'm sure there are many similar programs available for free.

If you just want to FTP download the lot, I could send you the login details on your personal mail.  Naturally, as a member of this forum, I trust you implicitly!

cheers
shiv

Shiv Mathur

Jeroen, about your PS meeting in Nootdorp, please have a look at
4634, 5884,   in 00to19 bbs4 and 5
4175, 7032,   in 20to35 bbs4 and 7

shiv

Jeroen D

Hi Shiv,
Awesome. I don't know how you do that so quickly. They're all messages relating to the original messages about our flight SIM adventure and PS1 event in Nootdorp.

So I need to dig some deeper. I'm traveling back to my home in the Netherlands, I might have a DVD back up of my posts.

anyway, many thanks for all the help and support. Much appreciated. This forum was and still is the best internet forum in the world! No mistake. Where else would you get such an immediate support.

Jeroen

martin

Quote from: Shiv MathurI used a bulk renamer to make them all '.txt'.
Ahh, the younger generation...

ren *.  *.txt

:mrgreen:

Cheers,
Martin

Shiv Mathur

I'm still all aglow at being mistaken for one of the younger generation, so I'll just mention that I did try that first, but it wouldn't (I couldn't get it to) rename files in multiple nested folders, as was the case here.

So I would have had to do this to 36 different folders!

This new-fangled Renamer did the whole thing for me in one simple step!

Cheers,
Shiv

P.S.  Did I mention, Martin, that back in my day we had to walk 6 miles through the snow to get to school ... ([size=8]which, in Bombay, is quite a feat[/size] :D )