News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX Arduino Integration

Started by John Golin, Sun, 9 Jun 2013 13:38

John Golin

Thanks hoppie - you have it correct. We were diverted from the original course to providing a particular solution for some sim owners - the website is a blog of the features and progress so they stop asking questions and let us get on with it :)

There are a couple of bits of software that will be out soon (with the PSX release) as they are complete, or nearly complete - SimSwitch and AdaptPSX... but the standalone general Arduino stuff is unfortunately delayed.  In a few weeks I hope to have some free time to help provide some info here and via the website even if I can't get everything out... whether that be libraries or parts of code will depend on how much is 'generally useful'...

For example there is some info already there on the Watchdog timer...

http://www.simulatorsolutions.com.au/?p=143

Cheers!

John
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

JP59

Thank you John. I was just looking for some codes and libraries examples. I can adapt to my setup if I have the "core" already.

Kurt

Hi John.

Am i correct in assuming that it will be possible to buy the simstack hardware at some time in the future? If so it is very very good news indeed  :D

My own arduino project is stalled until I have PSX in my hands, - I will for sure be interested to take the "easy" way and buy all electronics if it comes available.

BR

Kurt
Best regards
Kurt

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: FlygenringI will for sure be interested to take the "easy" way
Pfffffffrt

... mops coffee off keyboard ...

Kurt

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers
Quote from: FlygenringI will for sure be interested to take the "easy" way
Pfffffffrt

... mops coffee off keyboard ...

Hehe Hoppie, - I know its no way easy, - hence the ""'s :)

Sorry for the coffesplash  :mrgreen:

Kurt
Best regards
Kurt

John Golin

Quote from: FlygenringHi John.

Am I correct in assuming that it will be possible to buy the simstack hardware at some time in the future? If so it is very very good news indeed  :D

G'day - I can't answer that question... because I actually don't have an answer :)

We set out to do this for ourselves and the simulator crews we have been associating with - we know them and their setup, they know us (and where we live and the names of our children!).

We're focused on getting the right technical solution for the Sim guys we have right now and making sure it's sustainable moving forward... we're deep in final testing of the protoype hardware to lock down the design, so we don't have the mental bandwidth at the moment to consider anything wider - we'll see how things look down the track.  

We think the solution is a good one, but the proof will be in the pudding(s).  And kheer!
John Golin.

Kurt

Thanks for the honest reply John, - I for sure will be interested in buying if it becomes a possibility.

Keep up the good work  :D

Kurt
Best regards
Kurt

Mark

Hi John,

As you know I've been tinkering with RCPs and ACPs (and more, soon), so was very happy to read through your SimStack blog; your basic IO platform is superb and it's good to know that I won't have to cover this particular need!

I'm also using similar hardware (32-bit arduino supported micro and w5200) so if you'd like another pair of eyes on the code then get in touch.

If you were planning to release your source code with a permissive license, I would like to use some of the same enum definitions (e.g. the Q codes) and class naming/inheritance to increase cross-compatibility.

Are you planning an IO board that can not only read the state of a real CB, but trip it on demand? This is an idea I have floating at the back of my mind.

Hope you are well,
Mark

asboyd

Just wondering where the arduino integration is at. I have several boards and can see a great use of using them for the audio control panels (multiple analog pots in use.)

Just wondering if any of the basic code is available for the ethernet connection via the shield.

Cheers,
Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

John Golin

Wow - old thread!  G'day Alex!

We have moved on from the basic Arduino hardware and now use the same chipsets but custom bootloaders, libraries and pin configurations as part of our hardware solution.  While our stuff is designed to work like the basic Arduino and be forward compatible (Arduino code works on our hardware)  the reverse is not the case.

This is the result of a conscious decision to standardise on one suite of interface options that will be flexible enough for real hardware, rather than a lot of individual bespoke solutions.

Cheers!

John
John Golin.

asboyd

Fair enough John,
Ron has told me as much in some emails.
I am trying to find a cheap way to create ACP's using some arduinos I bought several years ago when I was still in work and getting an income.

Just in case you still have it. Would you have the original sketch to talk to PSX.....(too cheeky perhaps?)

Cheers,
Alex B

RogerH

+1 for any Arduino sketch to interface to PSX - I've just had my PC automatically update to Windows 10 1909 and SIOC has stopped working.

I've done a search but despite quite a few enquiries to the Opencockpits team, no response has been forthcoming about this.

So I'm stuck with no interface right now.

Any suggestions? Prior to the 1909 update I'd just bougfht another two Mega Arduinos!

asboyd

Roger I have Windows 10 1909 and 2004 running on two of my machines and SIOC 7.03B2 works with both. Make sure UAC is completely off and you have installed SIOC in the C:\SIOC\ directory.(I also turn off my firewall).

I do know that security changed with 1909 which is why I updated one of my machines to 2004 and tested with it as well.

Cheers,
AlexB

petdocvmd

I made an inquiry to the MobiFlight people offering to code a branch for direct PSX interfacing, but they appear to have little interest. I'm going to work on my own solution to try to eliminate all of the intermediate steps in the current workarounds, just in case one of them does break for good.  Was hoping to get a head start by leveraging the Arduino-side work already established by Mobi, but looks like the PSX contingency is not mainstream enough for them.  I'll let you know if I manage to put together something worth testing over the next several months.

Scott
Scott L. Fausel, VMD

RogerH

Alex - thanks I'll check all of that.

Scott - not sure if there's anything I can do to help - I'm a very amateur programmer and there are some real brains elsewhere on here, but let me know if there is!

Cheers all,

Roger.

EDIT: Alex - how did you update to 2004? I have automatic updates turned on and it's reporting 1909?

asboyd

Some of my machines where compliant with 2004 and so the update showed up in windows update. AS you need to accept the update I left a couple of machines without it.
One of my machines has hardware onboard that still have issues with the update so Microsoft are holding back on the update until the issues are resolved. Some of the issues are with 3rd party drivers...

Cheers,
Alex B

RogerH

Still no luck with SIOC - it seems to load up ok but then freezes. It's in the directory you suggested Alex, UAC is turned off, Windows Defender turned off and I'm running it as Administrator. Frustrating!

asboyd

Try loading SIOC with a single basic script and see how you go. I started with a basic script for the CDU's, then added in as I went. SIOC freezes every so often as it seems a little unstable at the best of times, but I have less freezes by assigning static var to all items... I keep an excel spreadsheet of my variables and OC ports to keep me on track.

Cheers,

PS I forgot to let you know the MS Firewall was also causing weird things, as I use PSXseecon as well and even using localhost I was getting freezes until I disabled it.....

RogerH

Thanks for the hints Alex - I'll give them a try.

Is there a difference between the firewall and defender?

If I turn off the firewall, with defender also turned off, am I making myself vulnerable to outside virus attacks - or will Smartscan give enough warning (along with Firefox's built-in defences)?

Thanks for any advice :-)

asboyd

My "Smart modem" has a built in configurable firewall, but I also have a stateful firewall in my Internet proxy server. I do not rely on windows firewall, although on some machines I run it with custom settings just to stop the annoying notifications coming up. So the firewall is on without any blocking setup.

Cheers,
Alex B

You could try turning all off and checking SIOC to verify if the firewall is the problem.

:)