News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PS1.3A Nav Data

Started by 74pilot, Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:22

74pilot

I am interested in how to update nav data for PS1.3A. Is it easy to edit, if I have the information myself? Or did someone make some fairly recent updates to this? I am interested in the Asia-Pacific area mainly, major airports like Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo Narita and Haneda, Taipei and so on. I am mainly looking for SIDS and STARS, the enroute segment is of less importance. It would be nice if transitions are included as well.

Thank you

Qavion

QuoteIs it easy to edit, if I have the information myself?

Some of it is easy, some not, 74pilot (It can be very labour-intensive at times). There are some instructions in the PS1 manual, but you may need help from the forum (old postings, tutorials, etc). Several update types can be done internally via PS1, but mass-navdatabase changes really need to be done externally. In many cases, you need to manipulate data in DOS format.

In the PS1 heydays, there were several programming gurus who developed programs to assist the mass updating process, but you might have trouble finding them these days (the programmers and their programs) : )

Back in the past, I hear it was possible to take a specific company's database (floppy disk format) and convert it to PS1 format (however, it's unlikely that your company would give you access to these). ; )

Rgds.
Q>

74pilot

I found this

http://www.navdata.at/

but it has no support for PS it seems. I tried the "contact" form but when I press send it fails. It would be nice if this navdata could be converted to PS1.3A format

Zinger

Navdata is the previous freeware service, now Navigraph (payware, cheap, 28 day cycle updates), run by the same guy. Not sure how good it is for Asia Pacific, uses a European data source. BTW I had some interesting weather experiences in Kai Tak as passenger along the years, lived right next to Sung Shan Domestic in Taipei.

Quote from: 74pilotI found this

http://www.navdata.at/

but it has no support for PS it seems. I tried the "contact" form but when I press send it fails. It would be nice if this navdata could be converted to PS1.3A format
Regards, Zinger

74pilot

I don't mind to pay for a one time update, but it seems they don't even support PS1.3A. I made a search for PS and for Aerowinx in their forums, and using google / site:navigraph.com and nothing at all came up.

28 days is standard ICAO, any recent update, like just from 2009 would be helpful. Minor changes are OK, but 10 years old database, all the SIDs and STARs have changed, although many waypoints and navaids are still the same.

Avi

There is cycle 0511 for PS1.

I think 4 years old database is better than nothing.
Avi Adin
LLBG

74pilot

Yes, I saw that, and I even found out how to unzip it now :)

I was hoping for something more recent, and with more complete SIDs and STARs, not just a selection, but thanks.

I did not install it yet, not sure it is all that easy ...

74pilot

Or maybe not, what page is the password on? Ah, got it now, 209. Hope it will install, is this .exe a DOS exe? I can answer that myself, only in Windows. I am on a Mac, so starting up VMWare, copying folder there, extracting, then hope I can move it back and it works. More info later, in case someone else here cares to know

74pilot

So it worked. I am no up to November 2005 I think it is. Beats 1999 Navdata, at least I can recognize the SIDs and STARs, seems there are only minor changes.

It was quite uneventful, except it took ages to finish. I copied PS13 to a windows directory (in VMWare, Win XP), then renamed the original to PS13_ORG. Inside windows I ran the 0511 update, and that took 10 to 15 minutes or so. I saw it created a gazillion of files during those minutes, and moving it back onto the Mac native drive (where DOSBOX runs), took more than half an hour, maybe even 45 minutes!

So here is my status:

I am running PS1.3A, I think it is EE4 version or something, including the 0511 NAVData update. It is running in DOSBOX with a "cycles 10000" setting to keep the speed up. 10000 was the first I tried and it seems to run well. I have an icon in my Mac doc, and when I launch that, I get PS in full screen. Option-Return toggles full screen or window, and I just need an external keyboard for those few functions I need like thrust to idle and so on. Sound works fine as well, although this would be of less concern to me.

I don't have any joysticks or any other external devices (except for a USB windows keyboard) and no need for such. If I experience any problems, I will be back here.

Next issue I could use, but not at all important, would be to build and save company routes.

Avi

Quote from: 74pilotNext issue I could use, but not at all important, would be to build and save company routes.

This is something very easy to do. Read the manual, it's there.
Avi Adin
LLBG

Garry Richards

A few of us (PS1 addon developers) looked into the requirements for updating PS1's database regularly, such as through Navigraph some time ago. It turned out to be impossible to automate the process, so we considered the effort required to make a full manual update, either once or perhaps annually. Even that defeated us.

Hardy's decision to create PSX killed off the idea completely for PS1. Being able to generate regular, automatic navdata updates for PSX is a different matter of course and I'm sure that Hardy and the alpha team will investigate that further down the track.
Garry

74pilot

OK, thank you for the information. I will settle with this 2005 update I have then  :mrgreen:

Simpilot767

Hi captains,

although i updated my 744 with navdata 0511, my FMS says:
"nav data SR099AW099"! What did i do wrong?

Thanks,
Timo
Drückst Du den Knüppel nach vorn, werden die Häuser größer, wenn Du den Knüppel ziehst, werden sie kleiner. Dies gilt nur, wenn Du den Knüppel nicht dauernd ziehst, dann werden die Häuser auch größer.

Pierre Theillere

Hi Timo!

There used to be a small utility (by Ivan Ngeow, I think) called "TweakOVR" or "TweakOVREE4" that enable changing the date for the active nav data in the FMC.
I also seem to remember that in Markuses OpenGL instruments, there was a option to alter the date of the navdata too while installing the 0513 navdata...
Pierre, LFPG

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Additionally, the FMC database date is not in any way related to the date of the files on the disk or such. It is purely a fixed string inside PS1, as it was never intended to be updated. So you can safely ignore the date.

Zinger

For PSX it would be advantageous to incorporate Navigraph data updates. It costs the user nearly nothing and provides monthly updates of FMS, map and terminal plates, just needs to be pre-arranged with them. I can't really understand such detailed products and enthusiastic flying utilizing 3 year old data, especially unhelpful online.
Regards, Zinger

GCIVP

Hello folks, running PS1.3 EE4 in DOSBox 0.73 (Windows Vista 32bit OS). I'd like to update to this last nav database as well. Just a quick question about it, would there be a source where I can see what airports are included and what SID/STARS for each before I install the update?
Goes without saying that I'll install it regardless, but I was particularly interested in checking which are present for North America, Africa and Australasia.

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: opherbenFor PSX it would be advantageous to incorporate Navigraph data updates. [...] I can't really understand such detailed products and enthusiastic flying utilizing 3 year old data, especially unhelpful online.
Navigraph is certainly a good option.

Ten years ago, when PS1.3 was developped, there was no such data source, unfortunately. Quasi-monopolist Mikrosoft made an exclusive contract with quasi-monopolist Jeppesen so that other sim developpers got no access anymore – well, almost: I got it from Swissair then.

|-|

Michel Vandaele

Hi Hardy,
I think it would be indeed a very good idea to incorporate the Navigraph navdata updates.  
They are publishing  very correctly with every real life airac cycle.  (Just like we got the Jeppesen charts  ;)

Thank you so much for developping the B744 sim software.  

B. Rgds
Michel
Michel VANDAELE
Board member  FSCB
EBOS Scenery Designteam
My B744 project
http://users.telenet.be/michel.vandaele/sim1.htm

Richard McDonald Woods

As a regular user of Navigraph updates, I can vouch for the navdata.

Also, Dan Downs provides a twice-monthly update of the Navigraph data for most important US airports, which contains many additional departure and approach procedures for runways without SIDs/STARs, based on his extensive knowledge of these routes flown by the commercial airlines.

Cheers, R
Cheers, Richard